looking for someone to tell me how to make fresh salsa

Well, I don't have a recipe, but you need the right tomatos, usually a Roma type or it could be really watery, onion, ( I like red onion ) Cilantro, salt, garlic, lime juice, and any other seasonings you may like. That's a start. I'm sure someone will chime in here. It's the peppers that will make it hot, so choose the right ones.

I don't make salsa but I get all my non-family traditional recipes from "All Recipes"

www.allrecipes.com its a great resource I keep in my favourites. Just type in what your looking for in the "search" area. Enjoy!
cool.png

Roast some tomatoes on the grill, along with some jalapeños just until the skin is mostly black and easy to peel off.

I would add things like garlic, salt, onion, and some cilantro if you like. And lots of lime. I would start out with a small quantity and go from there. I would chop it all in a food processor, since it may turn out runny in a blender.

I love using roma tomatoes in my salsa. You can make a basic salsa:
petite diced tomatoes
petite diced peppers ( I usually use red, yellow, green and jalapeno (sp)peppers and sometimes the juice.
cilantro...now if you don't care for cilantro then use flat leafed parsley
red onion
lime juice
louisianna hot sauce

I try to keep a jar/bowl of this in the fridge 24/7
You can play with it and add/subtract anything you want..from corn to beans to fruit.
In the winter I use CANNED petite diced tomatoes. Drain and rinse in cold water and they really do taste like fresh and no chopping ha ha

8 large tomaters (lol tomatoes), chopped. If they are too watery you can drain 1/2 the fluid or use a couple of meatier roma style 'maters.

1 tbl sea salt

1/2 tbl adobo seasoning (in the mexican food section)

Juice of 1 lime

1 red onion finely chopped

10-15 sprigs of cilantro chopped

1 1/2 tsp fresh ground pepper

1 large red or yellow pepper

1 tsp garlic powder OR chopped roasted garlic-depends on how much time you have :)

1 tsp onion powder

chopped 'cherry bomb' hot peppers if you like the heat!
*remember with hot peppers the longer it sets the more heat that builds!

I taugth my hubby to make this and now he wont eat premade jar salsa.

A vidalia chop wizard cuts down the prep time considerably. if you like to make homemade salsa it is a must have tool. it makes perfect little square chopped bits! just slice and place in chopper. You can get them at about any kitchen supply, linens n' things, christmas tree shops or carol wright gifts

36917_large.gif

Last edited:
I make mine like Ozark Hen minus the hot sauce. My heat comes from
whatever hot peppers I use.

Any tomato can be used but the Romas work great because they don't
contain as much water. If your salsa is too watery you can strain it.

Lime is ESSENTIAL.

The cilantro must be fresh.

Experiment with different recipes and ingredients. Making salsa is so
much fun and nothing tastes better than fresh salsa using garden vegies.

Where is the drooling smiley???

Back
Top Bottom