My homemade coop and couple of questions from a newbie :-)

Moony Moon

Hatching
11 Years
Sep 11, 2008
Northampton, England
Hi all, currently mid-construction of my chicken house.

Here's some piccys from varying stages, must admit i am very pleased with the progress and it has been slow going (think i have been over thorough), have notched up well over 20 hours now. I am not a master craftsman and have never really done a project like this since i made a pencil pot in school!!

It seems to be taking an age, only the nesting boxes and the perches to go!

15669_abcd0012.jpg

15669_abcd0013.jpg

15669_abcd0014.jpg

15669_abcd0016.jpg

15669_abcd0017.jpg

15669_abcd0019.jpg

15669_abcd0020.jpg

15669_abcd0005.jpg

15669_abcd0007.jpg

I have read loads of stuff saying this, that and the other, but i am reading contrasting opinions on the height/qty of roosting bars?

I am planning on having my bars level with the top of the nesting box, so they will be 10 inches higher....is this too high?

On the quantity front i am planning on having 6 hens to begin with and was thinking of only having two roosting bars (the house is 1.1m wide)...is this enough?

Any thoughts / feedback would be appreciated.

Cheers

Dale

Nice coop! Are you going to stain it or paint it? I really love the look of it. You should be quite proud
smile.png

As for roosting and nesting.... They can roost up high. Mine do. They are about 4 feet off the ground. As for nesting, they lay the eggs right on the bottom of the coop in the corner nesting box, which is on the floor. What they don't like is the higher up nesting box. Roosting high is good. Nesting high is not good.

Does that help?

Also, that seems like enough roost space for 6 birds. They all huddle together.

Back
Top Bottom