My baby bantam is being abused

mradam

In the Brooder
11 Years
Mar 5, 2008
Eastern Missouri
I have 5 bantams. One, a 8-10 week old still with her mother in the coop and run, is being abused by my barred rock bantam hen.
The BR is always on the lookout for a chance to peck at the baby, usually in the head, and the mother hen doesn't seem to be very protective.
I just noticed that the side of the baby's face is swollen and the eye isn't as round(don't know if this makes sense) as usual.

My fear is that my baby has lost an eye, or that the abuse will get worse. I had planned to introduce the 5 bantams in with my full size RIR's this next week, but I need to deal with this problem first.

What should I do? I don't really have much room to isolate the baby or the BR... I already have the run split in to for the RIR/bantam quarantine.
Does the BR need to go, or what kind of quality of life will the baby have if eye eye is gone?

Thanks everyone!
Adam

My neighbor had a chicken w/ a missing eye from some infection the chicken acted fine It just spooked a bit when it heard something and couldn't see it.

I would get that young 'un out of there right away!

If you really don't have room, one of them may have to go. Small setups (like mine!) just don't have a lot of leeway for chicken drama. Someone is bound to get seriously hurt.

Good luck!

Glad to hear she would still have a decent life. Also, the sun will be going down soon today, but I will work on a separate setup for th abuser tomorrow. I am brainstorming on temporary enclosures for the night for one.
Thanks for the replies!

Back
Top Bottom