IS THIS POSIONING?

Half-a-dozen

Songster
12 Years
May 26, 2007
NJ
I moved a waterer two days ago that has been there for a long time. Underneath there was all funky stuff growing looked like plants ect. one of my BR ran over and started picking at it.
he.gif
I kept chasing her away but she kept trying to eat it. Anyway afterwards she was walking like she did not feel good and had runny stool not bloody. Now today she is weak stumbling has a dark beefy red comb and is in respiratory distress. I have confined her to comfort her. Could this be posioning? What could I do for her Please.
hit.gif

Do a molasses flush on her to clean her out. You can search it here or find it on backyardchickens.com website. I would also give her a couple of tetracycline pills to help kill all the bacteria in her, but you will then need to follow up with some good yogurt the next day to replace the good gut bugs that will also be killed. Good luck, sooner will give you better results than later also....

also might be helpful to read the thread posted by Renee.."drunk chicken" (or something like that)

important to keep hydrated..other suggestions and info in thread.

give electrolyte water by drops on beak if the hen is unable to drink on her own.

flushes of molasses or Epsom salt can be done using a syringe without the needle..get it WAY back in the throat behind the glottis (hole at back of tongue)..fill crop..(don't overload)..and wait for mix to go thru system, hopefully getting rid of Botulism or bacteria..

this is an "ASAP" situation.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom