Crate To Coop

AtholCoop

Songster
11 Years
Sep 27, 2008
North Idaho
I've been lurking here for a while...figured after todays pre winter coop cleanout I'd share some pics.

I get these crates from time to time at work. A friend of mine built a coop a couple years ago from a crate and that got me to thinking. So I grabbed a couple of crates and took them home. Over the course of last winter I built a coop out of them and some left over odds and ends I had laying around. Total cost for the coop was less than 20 dollars. The only thing I had to buy was a pack of shingles because the partial pack I had wouldn't quite cover the whole roof. All of the 4x4's I had laying around, same goes for the plywood I built the roof structure out of. All of the hinges, and windows came from old furniture we were throwing out at work as did my custom window holder opener shock. The latches I use to keep all the doors and windows closed were originally part of the crates that the whole thing was built out of.

eastsidezc9.jpg

At the end of the south wing you can see my custom window holder opener.
southsideho7.jpg

Inside the south wing is the roost room. The roost ladder is secured with screws at the top only so it can swing up and out of the way for cleaning the litter out.
roostroomwn8.jpg

On to the north wing. I've got a string running through the coop that goes to the door (more on that later)
armstrongdoor1lk1.jpg

Inside of the north wing is the food and nest room. In the back wall you can see the closed door.
nestandfoodroomxw9.jpg

Out to the exercise yard. Here is the previously mentioned door (now open), and the ladder to the coop.
yardandladdergh4.jpg

Obligatory flock pic.
chickensgt2.jpg

Quote:
The satisfying thing is that I've been nagging on my wife for 10 years to let me keep chickens. Last year she finally said "ok so long as it doesn't cost us any money".

Now being half Scottish if there is one thing I understand it's being cheap...errr sorry wrong word FRUGAL, yeah frugal.

Thanks for sharing design, pics and materials list. Question altho I might know the answer, but why did you put it so high, for ease of cleaning or some other reason? Where do you store your feed? Great pics, what kind of camera?
Cheers,
smile.png

Quote:
The satisfying thing is that I've been nagging on my wife for 10 years to let me keep chickens. Last year she finally said "ok so long as it doesn't cost us any money".

Now being half Scottish if there is one thing I understand it's being cheap...errr sorry wrong word FRUGAL, yeah frugal.

I am part Scottish as well. My Granny was so "frugal" that she could pinch 3 nickels out of every dime. I'm so glad I inherited that trait.

Back
Top Bottom