Where do you get Oyster shells?

weloveourchicks

Songster
11 Years
Sep 15, 2008
Virginia
I've been reading alot about people giving their chickens oyster shells so the other day my friend said they were having an oyster roast. Well I got all excited and said "can i have the shells?"
big_smile.png
My husband laughed at me and said I couldn't just give them to the chickens they have to be ground up - I had planned on just breaking them. I really felt dumb but I haven't seen oyster shells in the feed store I buy food at so where do I get them? Any help would be appreciated.

--- Susan

Thanks everyone; I'll ask when I go back into town. They will most likely have it I guess; they are always just so busy I didn't ask but looked over in the chicken section and didn't see it so assumed they didn't have it. We only have one feed store within 1 hour from us so hopefully they will have it tucked in the back somewhere.

-- Susan

Tractor Supply has oyster shells. I use a very deep old pot that developed a leak so I put the shells in it and smash them up with the top of a sledge hammer in the pot. luckily it is tall so very little shoots out when I'm smashing the shells. My hubby loves oysters so we save the shells.
yippiechickie.gif
caf.gif

I got mine at the feed store! Your chicken will probably like thier own shells too. Another member told me to just put them in the microwave for 1 minutes and then crush them and feed them to the chickens. My chickens seem more thrilled with egg shells rather than oyster shells. I do give them both though.

Back
Top Bottom