tell me about your cochins!

mom wewantchicks!

Songster
11 Years
Apr 23, 2008
buckhannon,wv
i am no expert on chickens and now i have a black cochin rooster that is 51/2 months old. tell me everything about them. are they friendly,make good pets and protectors that sort of thing. also my hubby says he is not a rooster because he is not crowing,hubby know nothing about chickens,but when should he start crowing. i told hubby he will either crow or lay,either is fine by me!!!

LOL I have the same problem with my "rooster" who some think is a hen. He's a SWEET boy but doesn't do much for protecting yet. My Serama roo does that
lau.gif
One thing for sure that I can tell ya is they are SWEET and I have never once heard of a cochin roo attacking a human and flogging them. SO FAR anyhow! You will have to show a picture of him! Mine is 5 months now and he isn't crowing either. But I hear that they take longer to mature than most chickens. I posted a pic of mine in this thread if you want to see him: He's on page 2

https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=96416&p=2

Well, I absolutely love my cochins!! I have a birchen roo, a blue hen, a white frizzle, and a white. They are the sweetest things! My roo very good, loving and protective. Here is a shot of them - I hope to start breeding them within the year. Good luck!

GEDC0424.jpg

Love them.
Friendly, Yes.
Pets, yes.

Protectors, not really, except broodies. Our roosters are fraidy cats that will hide behind the hens. And, in the bachelor pad, they are the ones that usually will get picked on. Our broodie partridge cochin on the other hand, would just as soon lose her life as to let you see her chicks. She's quite serious about the whole deal too.

Really though, they are just big fluffy butts.

My DSs giant Cochin started trying to flog me but was sweet as can be to DS...So ended up giving him to bluedog420 because I was afraid he may hurt someone elses child. Still love the Cochins though it hasn't stopped me from getting more but my only male Cochin now is a bantam one. Also DSs.

My roo Duc is 10 months old and has become a good protector. My cat loves to stalk the hens and he got enought of it and rolled him three times across the yard. It was histerical.
lau.gif

This is Duc when he was six months.

P6190952.jpg

What color is that rooster considered? I have 2 that were given to me from a show breeder that kind of look like that. And they are HUGE!

MNKris your birds are the type I am looking for! Are they blues? I'm new to the chicken world but I am learning. I presently have 6 frizzle cochins and I want a couple blue colored. They are beautiful.

Back
Top Bottom