Crossbreeding Help- Need a breed similar to the Java in standard

Wolf-Kim

Songster
11 Years
12 Years
Jan 25, 2008
I am working on my Java breeding project. Unfortunately, production is low and I have a limited pool of genetics to work with. I would like to crossbreed with a faster maturing more productive breed, but remain as close to the standard as possible.

I was thinking maybe throwing in some well bred Rhode Island Reds that a friend of mine breeds. He breeds his RIRs for size and productivity, and that is what I'm looking for in the Javas. It would certainly be easier to introduce new blood with better meat and egg yeilds, than continue breeding my small flock in hopes of getting the same thing.

I want my Java flock to have all the same usefullness that they originally had, egg and meat. I just think it will be extremely hard and time consuming to get back to that with the very limited blood I'm dealing with. My rooster is of a good size, but my hens are small and the pullets take a long time to mature. Then once they mature, the eggs are a bit on the small side and I get eggs maybe every other day in the peak of summer.

Will you review both standards(RIR and Java) and let me know what you think? Maybe you even have another suggested breed for me to use instead of the RIR?

Thanks, I greatly appreciate it. My excitement for this project has simmered down quite a bit, since they take so long to mature and predators seem to grab them before they get to that point. It's been a long summer.

-Kim

I will have to look at my standard when I get the chance but my first thought was black australorps. They lay lots of brown eggs, mature fast, and are black. You could get some and breed the largest ones to your javas then just go from there. With the RIR I think the color would be a big problem and most show type RIRs have a harder feather, they are more compact and brick like.

You would be much better served by seeking out sources for Javas if you want to have Javas. Duane Urch in Minnesota has them as does the Sandhill Preservation Center.
While I'm not absolutely clear on what you're hoping to achieve by crossing I'd have to say Reds would seem a poor choice as their configuration is so different from the Java.

Quote:
I didn't consider those, I'll have to keep them in mind.

It was just something that occurred to me today and I thought "Why not breed in some of the more productive laying breeds to help with eggs, meat, and maturity.

Review the standard and get back to me please. I would really, really appreciate it.

-Kim

Kim,
If you crossbreed you have lost your pure Java's. You would be much better off getting some new blood from another Java line.

Steve in NC

PS Where have you been???? haven't heard from you in AGES

Back
Top Bottom