Still worried my RIR might be a roo

smnytx

In the Brooder
12 Years
Sep 9, 2007
I posted her pic a week or so ago, and while everyone said it was too early to be sure, most thought she looked like a girl.

Now, at 4 weeks, her comb is no bigger, but seems a tad pinker at the base of it. Her legs are thick, and she's still the "alpha chicken" of my flock of three, both in size and temperament.

Here are some recent pics:

IMG_4177.jpg

IMG_4175.jpg

IMG_4172.jpg

and with the other two, for comparison's sake:

IMG_4212.jpg

If "she" is a "he" we will all be heartbroken. Can't have a roo in the 'burbs. Reassurance is welcome, but the truth is always preferred (let's hope they are one and the same!).

I'm no expert, but I have a RIR hen who I named named Henry who looked no differen though a bit older.... I am is hoping for the best for you! My Henry was so early to grow a comb and wattles and was my very first to lay at only 18 weeks. She is my sweetest hen, we still call her Henry, and the alpha chicken and I wouldn't trade her for anything. Here was the discussion:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=10365

I don't think you can really tell by looking at the comb. I have 20 RIR's that were sold to me as 18 pullets and 2 roo's. The combs of about 10-12 got really big and red and the others were a smaller red comb. I though for sure I had 10 or 12 roo's! Now they are 21 weeks old and are all laying eggs. I have zero roos. I know for some that would be good but I wanted a couple of roos. So, even if the comb gets big on some they can still be hens.

I think its a HE!!!:|

He has pointed saddle feathers so its a sign of a male.

People have told me this

Combs will not really help.

Try to wait a bit longer.

The one on the far right looks like a roo too

The middle one looks like a hen.

Its only my opinion.
You should post up their pics too.

I say wait a bit longer to be certain, but I say you have a trio of girls.

BTW, boys wont have sickle, read: pointy, feathers until they are at least 10 weeks old.. if not much older. Some of my boys are just barely starting to pop out some pointy feathers and they are now 10 weeks old. Your chicks still have baby feathers so they will not give you any indication of gender.

I say wait a bit longer to be certain, but I say you have a trio of girls.

I like this answer best, so that's what I'm going to focus on right now!
big_smile.png

Even worse than Rhody being a roo is the thought of "him" crowing. If our neighbors hear it, they'll know we have chickens - information we're hoping to keep on a "need to know" basis only.

I think we have a leg to stand on with our HOA rules (which state "no livestock" but then go on to say "birds are allowed as long as they do not create any nusiance") but I don't want to have to go fight this one out!​

Back
Top Bottom