When should I remove infertile eggs?

LilDucky85

Songster
10 Years
Feb 8, 2009
Northern, Illinois
I have eggs in my incubator right now that are on Day 5. Out of the 17, 9 of them have definite veining and heartbeats. The others I can hardly see the yolk and seem clear. Could these just be taking longer to form, or are they simply not fertile? It seems like the entire back row is not forming while the others are. Could they not be getting enough heat back there?

If Im able to tell with the rest that they are a live, should I be able to tell with them all by now? How long should I let them stay in there, and how long can I wait to remove them before they explode in my bator?

Quote:
Always rotate your eggs in your incubator. Pick a pattern and stick with it, I believe the LG instructions state to take eggs from the center and roll the rest towards the center. I do not like this as it rotates the eggs in one direction. I use egg cartons and remove eggs from the back and move the eggs towards the rear but not rolling them. I have the eggs tilted to one side and tilt them to the other side as I move them reward. The eggs I removed are then moved to the front. Give your eggs some more time, I don't toss unless there is a bloodline or spot, or the egg smells. If it is clear after 14 days then it is likely infertile.

I use the egg carton method, and do rotate sides. I just tilt them from one side to the other. I never knew about rotating spots in the incubator though! I wanted to leave them in their original spots because if they are growing there then they must like it. Plus I didn’t want them to go through a drastic heat change if moved.

Yesterday I thought I saw delayed veining so I moved one of the back ones to the front and switched out a clear egg. Today it seems to have a bloodring around it. I want to be sure its a blood ring this time before I pitch it. Last time I thought it was a bloodring but when I cracked it there was a heartbeat. Huge mistake!

Yeah I read that in the LG instructions too. I didn’t like this though because I don’t want to roll any around.

Back
Top Bottom