Chicken saddle making question

Farmer Kitty

Flock Mistress
12 Years
Sep 18, 2007
Wisconsin
Okay, I have a pullet that the rooster really likes. I'm going to make her a saddle because he takes off her feathers and the others then start pecking. I'm going to use a pair of old blue jeans.

What I need to know is, do I put a softer material on the inside to protect her feathers? Or is the blue jean material by itself fine?

Thank you! I had actually come across a similar pattern. I made one today and put it on her. After pecking at the straps holding it on a few times she left it alone and the others didn't bother it either. When Sir Roo came calling it stayed in place and did it's job! I guess I got it right-not much of a sewer.

Quote:
I just found your pattern today, I'm going to try this. Looks very comfortable for the chickens and easy to make.

What is the longest that you think a chicken could wear this?

I like to take them off and wash them every couple of days, and make sure they're not rubbing.

I've had hens wear them for 3 months or so until the next molt and they quit laying. The roosters seem to know when they aren't laying and will leave them alone.

Thanks so much for the reply. And if you don't mind me asking how do you get the wings and tail through those holes with stretching the material out?

BTW, I loved looking at your BYC page. You have a lovely flock.

Have you ever had issues with picking? I didn't see that mentioned in your list of problems that you have encountered with your chickens. This is kind of what I am going through now and my chickens have plenty of room. How have you avoided it?

Quote:
I happen to stumble across this pattern you have for the chicken saddle, no sewing necessary. It is brilliant! I am going to try it for a wound which won't heal. Thank you for posting this.

Back
Top Bottom