snakes.

Rev Dan Damron

Hatching
11 Years
Jul 29, 2008
lexington OKLAHOMA
Help. Ive been losing eggs .couldn't figure it out for a long time. then found a 6ft bull snake in the nest box. i disposed of it post haste . but my daughter said she saw another one, bigger than the first.found one of my pullets laying dead at the foot of the nest box. my coupe is fort Knox, ore so i thought. new to Oklahoma:lol:.I can build a bear proof coop but how do i defend against snakes ?help

Use deer netting. Snakes can't get through the 1/2 inch mesh. If you leave some wadded up on the ground they get tangled up in it and die:

IMG_1039.jpg

I know you guys are all going to hate me for saying this; but I wanted to point out that all the flesh and bone of the snake before he ate your eggs was built on mice and rats. That said what does a box of poisen cost? or your time setting traps and putting out poisen for mice and rats? More than the cost of a dozen eggs??
Now I know most people are afraid of snakes, but usually there is a neighbor that could come catch it and put it in an old Pillow case and tie it up. Take it to a state park and release it.
The way I see it is, that snake has been working for me until it got big enough to eat my birds or eggs. At that point I will give him/her the eggs this one time but now he has to move on. I would then move him far enough away that he cant find his way back. I live in the country to enjoy the country. A snake eating poultry or eggs is not cool! But before that point he has done nothing but good for me as far as I am concerned.

I live with bull snakes eating my hen's eggs all the time, and I understand the mice/gopher/rattlesnake thing, and love them for it. But he found a dead chicken. That's a different matter. I presume he believes the snake killed it?

Dan, there are photos on this site of chickens that have been eaten by snakes. The head and neck is all slimy, but the rest is dry, legs sticking straight out like a rubber chicken. It's like the chicken was too big and the snake gave up. Bull snakes are constrictors, so they would have bit just to hold the chicken still while they wrapped around them. IF your chicken looked like this, then it's a snake. If not, it probably was something else.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom