sneezing chicks

math ace

Crowing
10 Years
Dec 17, 2009
Jacksonville, FL
I have 15 - - - 5 week old chicks. We have had them for 2 weeks. They spent the first week in the house while we but their outside hutch / cage. The hutch area is heated with a heat lamp. We monitor the temperature and keep it around 60 - 70 degrees. Considering the lows have been in the 20 - 30 degree range - - - we are doing the best we can. They are not showing any signs of cold. They are little live wires running and jumping all the time. We they settle down, they sleep in a pack - - - - beside each other but not on top of each other.

They have a run area attached. The water and food is kept in the run. So they have to step out in the cold to get the food and water.

OK - the problem is SOME OF THE CHICKS ARE SNEEZING. Should I worry? Should I do anything? They are still running and jumping and being crazy. Is sneezing normal? I don't remember anybody sneezing during the week they were in the house.

They are eating and drinking constantly
smile.png

Thanks for any advice?

Immediately look for damp shavings, wet areas, mold potential and anything wet and remove it. Usually this is MG, a mold related reaction. Dry everything, eliminate all dampness, change every shaving. Look carefully at perches and walls and flooring for damp areas and kill and dry them.

Make sure food and shavings are dry and clean. chicks and chickens do not get colds. Dry it all and see if they get better. Keep it cleaner, ammonia alone can cause sneezing. Dry, clean and clean water and food, and food dishes are the key. Hammer on that sucker. Warm, dry and clean. Good luck.

We clean and change the water at least once a day.
I changed the straw out earlier today.

I will look carefully - tomorrow - at their surroundings.

Do you recommend I give them anything or just wait and see if the clean straw does the job?

Last edited:
I would use the clean straw and then pick up pine shavings. I know they're more expensive but they resist mold better and don't start out harboring it the way straw can. A little ACV Apple Cider Vinegar in their water, and a clean dry environment and they should come around. Anti-biotics won't help MG or other mold exposure anyway. Pine shavings are usually dried and pine and most trees have resins that for awhile prevent mold from forming. Good luck. Lets just hope it's mold exposure.

Do you have any new wood/plywood in the place they are now living? If plywood, especially, they will react to the glues/resins/chemicals in the wood. Had that happen once and finally figured out what was going on after a couple of adults in another coop with a new addition began doing the same thing. Both coops had brand new plywood and caulk and since it was cold out, neither coop had aired out adequately after the construction.

Good News - - - We pulled 6 of the 15 chicks in the house tonight and spent over 30 minutes with them and hear no sneezes.

So maybe it was something on the old straw or it was just too dirty. Everybody was active and curious tonight and sneeze free.

Yay! You fixed it! Glad to hear they seem fine now. Straw and hay can sneak mold in where you don't expect it. Good luck as they grow!

Back
Top Bottom