Watery Egg Whites

Mule Chick

In the Brooder
11 Years
Aug 14, 2008
Most of my chickens are BOs but I have one EE and her daughter who is EE/BO. I have noticed that even with the freshest of eggs the whites from the eggs of those two hens are much thinner. They fan out in the pan like an old egg, and this morning I was poaching two just laid eggs and it was like pouring water into the poaching liquid, and then the yoke just dropped right out of the whites and became a separate orb in the pan. These hens free range, get layer crumbles, scratch grains, sunflower seeds and various treats. One hen is several years old and the other just started laying this fall, but they have always been this way to a degree. The eggs from the BOs are just what you would expect from a fresh egg, nice thick whites that stay together. Any ideas on what might cause this?

I hope someone has an idea on this,my eggs all seem a little runny.They are getting good feed,plenty of water,and their treats for the day is always bread or scratch.Even just this mornings egg will be runny!!!!!What do I need to do?

Well, it seems like nobody has any ideas on this, but I guess it's nice to know I'm not the only one! It frustrating because I love to make a perfect poached egg and these two hens have the darkest most beautiful yokes, but the whites just don't hold together. Hopefully someone will have an idea.

wow, what a cool site. We don't even have our first chickens yet, but I am bookmarking interesting pages like crazy!
big_smile.png

Thanks for the link to that website. Although none of the causes given are really possible in my case. I'm assuming if a bird had infectious bronchitis there would be some sort of symptoms? All the birds seem pretty darn healthy. I've sort of been thinking that since it is a mother and daughter that do it, that it just might be the way they are.

I've looked at those poaching pods a number of times, just haven't bought them yet. they seem like a pretty good idea.

Back
Top Bottom