***update!!*** Operation Moving Day Complete!! Pic Heavy

WV_Hillbilly70

Songster
9 Years
Apr 28, 2010
Nashville, Indiana
Well we started this adventure almost 5 weeks ago with a box of fuzzy butts and dreams of farm fresh eggs. We started this project bass ackwards like alot of people on BYC and bought the chickens before we had even designed, let alone built the coop...
he.gif

Well as our luck and fate would have it, we discovered that lil fuzzy butts grow FAST!! REAL FAST!!
jumpy.gif

So I got on the "chicken information super highway" aka BYC and did hours of pain staking research and finally settled on a plan, got the material list, made about 50 trips to various hardware/home improvement stores looking for sales and scavenging through thier "dunnage piles" to gather all I would need to build our "Garden Coop". The whole time this stage is occurring it was sunny and beautiful spring weather here in central/southern Indiana then came construction day.....and it started to rain!!
rant.gif
somad.gif
and it rained, and rained, and rained some more, so, feeling the magnitude of the situation I decided to start the build in the warm dry confinds of my 2.5 car garage which meant the 2.0 cars must stay out ( the .5, my Harley, got to stay in
love.gif
to the dismay of my better half). After getting this framed up it was STILL RAINING...so I thought I'll build a little more, then a little more...It can't be too heavey...build a little more...VERY CAREFULLY measured the garage door opening making sure not to exceed that in build height. Keeping that in mind I opted to leave the roof package above the rafters off until it was moved out.

Well after 4 rainey weekends in a row, it was time to move the "coopmahal" out of the garage, and in to place. I had literally done all I could inside. After CAREFUL planning, I invited 6 of my bestest buddies over for a good ole fashioned "coop moving party" complete with cold beers, and burgers and dogs. What I didn't plan for was the Nickleback Concert they all went to the night before and all stayed out drinking till 4 in the morning!!
he.gif
somad.gif
Needless to say when it came time to move the coop all I had was myself and my father in law....too older gentleman with bad backs!!!!
barnie.gif
Well with the help of some 1" galvanized pipe sections to work as rollers, we began to move the beast...all was going well, then flash back!! : "VERY CAREFULLY measured the garage door opening making sure not to exceed that in build height" unquote!!! It was 3/4" too tall to clear the garage door opening!!
somad.gif
he.gif
somad.gif
...well being the very wise man my father-in-law is he recommended removing the top piece of trim from the garage door opening, and what do you know!! It squeeked under with a 1/16th to spare!!
fl.gif
ya.gif
wee.gif

Well we continued to roll it in to place, put the concrete pads under it, and dug the one foot ditch around it to bury the hardware cloth,
and put the roof on it in one day!!

I am so glad it out of the garage, and move in day is next weekend!! Here are some of the pics showing the progress, or lack there of...lol!! Enjoy!!

55774_100_0163.jpg

Framing under way!!

55774_100_0168.jpg

Rafters installed after carefully measuring the garage door opening..LOL!!!!

55774_100_0171.jpg

Installing all the 1/2" hardware mesh......PAIN IN THE BUTT!!! Entire coop including the roof is covered in the stuff.

55774_100_0194.jpg

Framing in the plexi-glass windows..

55774_100_0201.jpg

Installing the siding...going for that "rustic" look.

55774_100_0202.jpg

egg door

55774_100_0203.jpg

egg door

55774_100_0204.jpg

Clean-out door

55774_100_0205.jpg

pop door

55774_100_0209.jpg

clean out door finished

55774_100_0211.jpg

interior "floating" walls painted, they can be removed for cleaning and for adding insulation in the winter.

55774_100_0216.jpg

Flooring added...later I put linoleum down over this for easy cleaning.

55774_100_0219.jpg

Outside....FINALLY!!!!!

55774_100_0221.jpg

ditch filled in

55774_100_0222.jpg

buried hardware mesh

55774_coop.jpg

Roof on, and door installed!!

55774_100_0224.jpg

my EMPTY garage....whoo hoo!!

I still have to install the chicken ladder to the pop door, and mount some roosts and poop boards both in the run, and in the henhouse. Nesting boxes will come later as the girls are only 5 weeks,,,,got a little more time to accomplish that!!
ya.gif
I will be putting sand in the run with some pine shavings mixed with some DE, if I can find it, and there will be pine shavings in the hen house with some more DE.
Feeder, and waterer will be hung up under the henhouse..I will post the updated pics after moving day.

Thanks to all my BYC friends for all the advise and ideas, please feel free to make suggestions for improvements, and share lessons learned.

*****UPDATE!!*****

Well we finally finished the rather lengthy "to do" list to finish the Coop Mahal. Last night was moving night for the girls, and was a complete sucess. As you will see in the pictures, the girls loved thier new digs, and figured out the new feeder instantly. Now using the ramp up to the henhouse was a different story, that took a few treats and some coaxing to get them in last night!!
celebrate.gif
This morning I went out and raised the pop door and they all stood in the door way looking puzzled until the "big bully", our roo named Bill, shoved one of the girls out the door as if to say "you first!" She rather ungracefully desended the ramp and instantly began munching on the scratch I had put out for them. When the others saw this it was a mad rush down the ramp!!
wee.gif

Any way here are the pics of "OPERATION MOVING DAY" Enjoy!!

55774_100_0225.jpg

Checking out the new feeder

55774_100_0226.jpg

right at home

55774_100_0228.jpg

55774_100_0229.jpg

ramp and pop door

55774_100_0230.jpg

The Coop Mahal

55774_100_0231.jpg

The "auto-matic" door opener....one human required, not included....

55774_100_0232.jpg

The Chicked Saloon

55774_100_0233.jpg

Home Sweet Home!!

Gorgeous!! We purchased the garden coop plans as well. However, we ran out of time, so we bought a very cute little coop & run off craigslist. Still my dream to have a coop as great as yours though. Good job.

Quote:
Thank you!!!
It was truly a labor of love. Of course it is still a work in progress...DW wants flower boxes and shutters..lol!!! Tried to stay as rustic as possible to maintain the "out in the sticks" feeling we love so much.

Quote:
Thanks Joe, and thanks again for the DE info. Went to Martinsburg Feed yesterday and picked up a bag. Folks there were great!! They all asked what I use DE for, and I was telling them for my chicken coop, one lady asked why I don't just use SEVIN Dust cause it's cheaper, I told her I have a toddler running around who like to stick everything in his mouth and I thought DE was alot safer to have around, and it does basically the same think...Thanks again!!

Back
Top Bottom