Near disaster - chicken in the duck pool!

Quote:
Your very welcome - I always feel so bad when a bird drowns (even bugs - must be something wrong with me
tongue.png
)

Great link!

The ducks will enjoy the ramp also.

Thanks for your story and glad it had a happy ending of course...nice writing!

I have chickens and a duck (new for me). Duck just got her first swimming pool - chickens are never interested in it, but had no idea how dangerous a pool could be. I'm going to look into making one of those homemade ladders on the conservation site. Also some kids pools have steps built-in - so you can rig that area as an escape area.

I'm so glad the title was "near disaster" so I knew that things didn't turn out too badly! I got all teared up anyway.

And also that first link that shows the cone shape to prevent wildlife getting trapped under is great. I have a stock tank pond and used stacked rocks for a wildlife escape, but it's very small. For the future, this is a great resource.

I found a metals company that actually sells expanded metal in pre-cut sizes, so I ordered (and have received) a two foot square piece. I'm going to build the escape ramp this weekend. I'll post pics when I'm done!

Quote:

Oh, THANK YOU! I did some googling and found this handbook http://www.batcon.org/pdfs/water/bciwaterforwildlife.pdf
with INSTRUCTIONS inside on how to make such a ramp.

Minerva has joined the rest of the flock. She got rid of some really nasty, watery poo on the back porch, trotted down the path to the shade where everybody else was snoozing, and started to scratch in the pile o' used pine shavings next to the composter.

I'm gonna start calling around to see where I can find some "expanded metal" to make a grate Wildlife Escape Ramp.

Thanks AGAIN!!

Back
Top Bottom