New chicken owner with many questions.

Okay....I've added pics of the roost! Thanks a million everybody!!!

67989_dsc_0729.jpg

67989_dsc_0728.jpg

Last edited:
i think you're doing great! u just need a lid to the nest boxes for extra privacy, maybe a top to the run with chicken wire (not many people realize how important it is to have a top to the run), and a roost bar! other wise I'm jealous!!

Sorry, I'm a bit confused. I have the lay boxes, on top of that I have a place for them to roost & then there is a lid on the very top. Am I missing something? As far as neting or a top to the run...I get that but my sister-in-law has an open run like we do and no problems as of yet. So much to learn!

Quote:

Quote:
Wow that looks great!!!! That is just what I would have done. Believe me you'll be glad there's the board there. Maybe sprinkle some shavings on the board and it will make it easier to get the poop off- otherwise it kind of sticks like concrete sometimes.

Quote:
Wow that looks great!!!! That is just what I would have done. Believe me you'll be glad there's the board there. Maybe sprinkle some shavings on the board and it will make it easier to get the poop off- otherwise it kind of sticks like concrete sometimes.

You can also use cheap stick down floor tiles on the board. That would make it very easy to clean off.

You're lucky to be able to have a nice run like that. Unfortunately, I have to have a kennel around mine with wire across the top.
We have a lot of predators where I am, including hawks.

Great coop by the way! I hope you and your family have lots of fun with it.
It won't be long... and you'll be as addicted as the rest of us!

Quote:
I've read all of the replies and agree with the advise you have already been given. The only thing that I would do is to add a small lip, maybe 2-4 inches tall (depending on the height of the nest boxes) to the bottom front of the nest boxes. That way the chickens will be more in their "own" little area for laying and the eggs and the nesting material will stay separate from what appears to be a walkway for the chickens. This could be done with almost anything, sturdy plastic, Masonite board even heavy cardboard. You might find that a PVC feeder and waterer with nipples is the way to go instead of investing in feeders and waterers that are pre-made. Look them up in the search. I made my own and I really love them. Especially the waterer. No more cleaning of yucky water bowls! Good luck with your new babies and tell your DH he's doing a fine job!

Last edited:
We have our first egg!!! So for sure we have one egg laying hen! But it was in the walkway area...not the lay boxes. lol! And so far none of the chickens have used either roost. lol! But maybe later. Now if I just knew which hen it was! lol!

67989_chicken_3.jpg

Quote:
I think it might be useful to see other roosts in other coops for an example. Chickens like to roost as high off the ground as they can get when they sleep. A roosting board is ordinarily suspended , (sometimes above a droppings board so that their droppings are easily cleaned, all in one place and not in the nest boxes) but not laying on top of a board. The roosts should also be far enough away from the wall that the chickens' tail feathers dont' get folded or bent if their back sides face the wall.
Here is a view of our roosts for example (on the left-hand side of the picture):

43104_7-8-10_new_windows_2.jpg

We made them removable (as is the droppings board) so that cleaning them is easier outside with a hose.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom