Chocolate Orpingtons

RioLindoAz

Sleeping
13 Years
Jul 8, 2007
Yuma, Arizona
Chocolate Orpingtons have been a great desire of mine for the past few weeks. There so, I've done a lot of research of this mutation and have found several dead ends. My first question is...Is there a difference between Chocolate Orpingtons and Brown Orpingtons? I know true Chocolate Orpingtons come from a gene in Blacks called CHOC, that when pure, dilutes black to the Chocolate color. But I've also found many reports of "Browns" coming from blue and buff parents. Would this bird still be considered a Chocolate Orpington even though It doesn't really Carry the CHOC gene? Also, would this color be inforced by crossing it with a white or Black orpington? If people start Pushing this color variation, would they be striving for a deep, dark brown...Or will people be striving to perfect a lighter shade of brown?

Feel free to discuss Chocolate Orpingtons as you please, though I really hope this helps clear some questions many of us have.

A Photo From CHIRPY CHICKS
http://chirpychicks.com/
Choc%20cock%20copyright%20website.jpg

Quote:
^Thanks, knjinnm for gathering this information for us!^

Last edited by a moderator:
Chocolate is" the Dun gene".

Incorrect
Chocolate is the sex linked recessive Chocolate gene

Dun is an allele of the Dominant White gene, acts like Blue , heterozygous Dunn gives a darker Khaki colour, homozygous Dunn gives a Splash ,varing from white with dun markings to a very light milk chocolate colour.​

I know that Greenfire Farms has or is going to import some Chocolate Orpingtons into the U.S. Another BYCer is talking about importing some and is asking others if they are interested to help defer the costs of importation. If you search them I am sure you can find the thread about it.

Back
Top Bottom