My big feeder

Spudd dud

In the Brooder
8 Years
Mar 8, 2011
Mondovi
Below are some photos of what I have for a feeder. It's made from a 6" dia. PVC pipe section that I found in one of my "dumpster diving" exploits. The feeder is attached to the wall with some 2x4s that were cut to fit the contour of the tube. I screwed the blocks to the tube then the blocks to the wall, simple.

81983_photos_018.jpg

It's a little dirty (from the winter) but it works great! It holds over 50 lbs of feed and I found that with the full 40 birds it only needed to be filled about once a week. The overall dimensions are ~6' x 2 1/2'. For the bottom end in stead of buying a $20 cap I just cut a piece of plywood just small enough to fit in the end and I ran screws through the tube into the board. It's easy to clean out then too!

81983_photos_048.jpg

81983_photos_049.jpg

I use a small ice cream pale to cover the top so nothing gets on the top. The bucket has a hole in the bottom with a string through it and a large nut at the other side of it, this shows that when the string gets higher and higher the feed is getting lower and lower! I thought it was pretty clever at least.

81983_photos_047.jpg

Note also that I drilled a 1/4" hole every 5" or so for drainage.

Back
Top Bottom