8 Years
May 12, 2011
Port Perry, ON
91526_injury_5.jpg

91526_injury_4.jpg

91526_injury_3.jpg

91526_injury_2.jpg

91526_injury_1.jpg

The reddish-brown tint all over his toes is just the iodine.

My father just bought this little guy at the farmer's market a couple hours ago as a gift for me. The seller told me he was a three week old Columbia Rock cross, and when I asked about the mangled feet he said that the bird is perfectly healthy.

I gave him a bath and blow dry and these are the signs that are worrying me, besides the gaping wounds on his toes:

1. Very watery poop (soaked the newspaper) and also the past four poops had a LOT of intestinal material in them as well. They were also had a very chopped up appearance, like All Bran buds
2. A couple of the toes are black at the tips and have miniscule nails
3. He won't eat or drink, even though he's been at the farmer's market all morning, stuffed in a cage without either of these things.

I need help urgently as the feed store closes early today and i'll need to go there should the need arise for antibiotics or other livestock medication. I thank you in advance for whatever advice you can give me
smile.png

Last edited:
Watery poo kinda sounds like he may be hot? And the other stuff you said was in his poo kinda sounds like co Coe to me.

Also, is there anything else I should keep in mind about his feet? I was going to run to the drug store and get polysporin but was wondering if there's a med I should be getting from the feed store.

The wounds on his toes may have been from transporting him. I don't see any signs of leg mites. I would quarantine him away from the rest of your birds for 30 days, and see what shakes out. I think you are likely seeing a stress response from him at this point. Keep him calm and quiet. Give him some sugar water to interest him in fluids. I wouldn't worry so much about him eating until tomorrow. Just let him get used to his new surroundings.

Good luck with him.

Quote:
thanks. I actually saw that on another post a long time ago but forgot to reference it~ from the poop, it looks like he was just really hot. Probably because the temperature of his bath water was a little too high.

I'd give him some chopped up hard boiled egg, and put some sav-a-chick in his water, or some poly-vi-sol WITHOUT iron. The sav-a-chick is better though because it has electrolytes in it as well as vitamins.

Quote:
hmmm, I tried the hard-boiled egg, and even some yogurt, but he's only interested in commercial feed crumbles. I put a healthy chick in front of him and fed her the egg and yogurt to show him that it's good food, but he still won't eat it. Perhaps commercial duck starter for more protein?
I'll try looking for the vitamins at the drug store today! Thanks for the suggestion!

Back
Top Bottom