Homemade Yogurt **Updated** Cheese and Buttermilk

Quote:
Forget it. They can have watermelon. I get the yogurt.
tongue.png

oh, I agree
big_smile.png

Sorry I was gone so long but was busy with the new grandbaby.

I made a second batch of yogurt but it didn't get thick like the first one I made and was wondering if the weather could effect it.
It was really stormy here when I made it, is it like baking and you have to wait for a good day to make the yogurt?

By the way, I have to order some things for my cheese making from the internet so will be awhile.

Oh, good--I was looking particularly for the "cheese" update!

If you can get hold of "live" kefir grains (I said "kernels" in my last post, but they're referred to as "grains"), there's hardly any recipe at all. They're not easy to come by, though...I got mine from a friend, who got hers from another friend, etc. The grains are alive and they reproduce like crazy, so if you CAN find someone who has them, get some! It's kind of like sourdough starter in that respect.

Here's how easy it is: You put the kefir grains into a gallon of milk. Leave the container out at room temperature for 24 hours. BINGO. You're done. You have kefir. Pour the thick (buttermilk consistency) liquid into another container, straining out the kefir grains, and refrigerate the kefir. The grains will have grown! Store the live grains (they look kind of like small-curd cottage cheese, or that hydroponic gel stuff) in a sealed container in the refrigerator. If you're not regularly using them to make kefir, and discarding or sharing the excess grains, you must feed them every so often to keep them alive. I THINK you can also freeze them to halt growth.

I first learned about kefir 10 or 12 years ago when I started feeding my dogs the Volhard Natural Diet. I've also made it with a powdered starter, which required heating the milk to a certain temperature (not too hot), then letting it rest before adding the starter. The grains are a LOT easier!

Quote:
I wouldn't think so, primarily because the culture is growing inside the cooler. However, I've had two instances exactly like you had and now just wait until a nicer day just to be safe.

Congrats on the grandbaby!

I am totally going to try making yogurt and cheese! Before seeing this thread, it never occurred to me that I could do it myself! This will save me some money cause the yogurt I buy is so expensive -Fage brand. I have always reasoned that it is worth it because it is such good quality and better tasting than other brands. But no more.
Now I haven't read through this entire 71 page thread yet, but is it OK to make the yogurt with milk that has been frozen and thawed? I'm guessing it is. I'll probably keep organic milk in the freezer so I can have it on hand when I need it. We don't drink much milk and even a half gallon usually goes bad before I use it.

It is excellent, terrie. My kids call it "goatgurt". We like it just as well as the cow milk version. You need a little more powdered milk to get it thick. Because of the cream being different in the goat milk and not separating.

Back
Top Bottom