Peacocks and Chickens together?

Joe.G

Songster
8 Years
Nov 16, 2011
Eastern NY
I Plan to get 2 Guinea Hens, 1 Rooster and 9 Chickens of assorted kinds. I am new to this. I have a Rabbit Hutch Built for two rabbits off the front, I am researching diffrent things that I can keep with my Chickens, I would only add one or two Peacocks/Peahens if I did it. Can they eat the same foods

Last edited:
Most people dont because chickens & turkeys carry dieseases, like Blackhead. They can be carriers & never show signs of being sick and then the peas may up die or get sick.
I do, keep some of peas as free rangers, and the chickens come out at noon. I live a very dry climate & have not had any problem with disease, knock on wood.
If you do get some peas, young ones can be very sensitive to conditions, but are generally pretty hardy once they have matured some.
They can eat the same things, but really need a 20% protien feed- Egg Maker balancer, I think is 20%. A worming schedule would be a must.
Read alot of the peafowl postings on this site to get started.

Peafowl owners use
Ivermec - for cattle. there is the injectable and/or dosing down the throat. there is also the drench type.
Safeguard for goats - 3cc per gal of water. use for 3 days, the repeat 10 days later to get any worms that have hatched.

Chickens can be wormed too. Only thing is one wouldnt want to eat the eggs gathered for a time after worming.
I would feed them boiled back to the chickens.

This site has alot of meds that may be needed or could be kept in a med chest for your animals
http://www.hopkinslivestock.com/Peafowl Medications.htm

The above listed wormers will get rid of most worms. I think you can get something that goes in feed but these work best. I use the Safeguard, it is easier to put in their water than catching your birds.
The worming schedule for peas is generally before and after breeding season.

Also, peas are very social & you will want to get more than 1.
Same with pretty much any bird-they all depend on their own kind as a group. Many wild birds monogamous, but with backyard birds, they will breed with more than 1 of the opposite sex.

I dont know if a rabbit hutch would hold all that you plan to put in it, unless it is very large.
Most all of us on BYC, believe in Quality of Life, for our fowl.... Would you plan on letting them out daliy, or will they have a pen area outside to get excercise?

I have a Rabbit Hutch attached to the coop they are separate, I plan to let them free range during the day. In the coop Section you can see my coop.Sorry for the confusion I do not plan on getting all of these birds, Just looking into option on birds that could be kept with my Chickens if I do Decide to add some. I do Plan to make an addition to my coop or build another.

Last edited:
Quote:
I have been reading that you should wait 14 days after worming before you eat the eggs, but if you feed the eggs back to the chickens (on like the 13th day), do you have to wait ANOTHER 14 days, before starting to eat the eggs?

Last edited:
I just saw your coop. Looks grand I must say!!!
ya.gif
wee.gif
clap.gif

I have chickens and 3 peafowl Pete,Ethal and Alberta (the chick they raised this summer). Pete and Ethal are bullies the chickens have learned to stay out of their. I don't pen them together. Don't want the peafowl to harm the chickens.The peacocks range out further than the chickens I fed high protien crumbies to them all.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom