Homemade Yogurt **Updated** Cheese and Buttermilk

Thats a good idea.....dishwasher. I forget i have one because i never use it. DD is out on her own so just 2 of us, no need.

I run everything through the dishwasher as well. Put the lids on when they come out and the inside is clean when you need to use it. If you are doing just one jar you could fill it with water and put it in the microwave for 5 minutes. It will boil and be sterile. Just be careful not to burn your hands when you take it out.

Alot of times when my milk is heating I'll put 3 jars of water in the microwave to boil. Then I put the lids on and wrap them in a kitchen cloth to go in my cooler as the heat source.

I am all about finding the short cuts to make the time efficient.

It worked!!! I took the jar out of the cooler this morning, and poked a spoon in, and it was yogurt!!! Tasty, too!

I'll do that with the dishwasher, like y'all suggested. Just put the lid on when I take them out and be good to go. I got my strapping big son to pour the canning pot full of hot water into the cooler for me, and then dump the cooler out in the sink when the yogurt was ready. He's about to go off to college in August though, and he won't be around to haul stuff for me anymore!
sad.png

I'm so excited! I can't wait to make some more
big_smile.png

This post is so popular that I keep coming back to it!

My girls love yogurt, and I realize that we'll be broke if we keep having to buy it. My hubby and I work full-time and I want to make yogurt the easiest possible way, you know, yogurt-for-dummies. I'm thinking of getting a Salton quart yogurt maker. It's about $20. Does anyone else have it?

It takes me about 15 to 20 minutes to make 3 quarts of yogurt. Let me show you some photos of the steps ---very easy. You really don't need a yogurt maker. A few jars will do the trick.

Heat the milk and milk powder (some are adding sugar at this point also).

yogurt1.jpg

Cool the milk.

yogurt2.jpg

Add the yogurt culture.

yogurt3.jpg

Fill your jars.

P7080024.jpg

Put it in the cooler/incubator for 10 - 12 hours.

yogurt6-1.jpg

Refrigerate. Serve cold.

yogurt7.jpg

Once you have made your delicous yogurt you might want to try this recipe using it. These are absolutely amazing warm from the oven with butter. I usually make them for sunday morning breakfast.

Blueberry Yogurt Muffins

1/2 cup plain yogurt
3/4 cup milk
3/4 cup sugar
4 tablespoons butter, melted
2 large eggs
2 cups all-purpose flour
2 tsp baking powder
1/4 tsp salt
1 tsp baking soda
1 cup fresh blueberries
1/2 cup chopped pecans

Topping Crumbles:
1/4 cup all-purpose flour
2 tablespoons firmly packed brown sugar
Dash cinnamon
2 tablespoons softened butter
1/4 cup oats

Preheat oven to 400°.

Lightly grease 12 muffin cups or line with paper muffin cups (liners).

In bowl combine yogurt, milk, granulated sugar, 1/4 cup brown sugar, melted butter, and egg.

In separate bowl stir together flour, baking powder, salt and baking soda.

Combine the mixtures, stirring only until dry ingredients are moistened. Gently fold in berries.

Spoon into muffin cups.

In a small bowl combine the topping ingredients with a fork until crumbly. Top muffins with crumb topping.

Bake the muffins for 20 to 25 minutes.

Makes about 12 muffins.

If I have a few more berries (say 1/2 a cup) I just add them in. It makes a more fruity muffin with a little less bread but delicious none the same!

I think it is so cool that MissPrissy is putting step by step photos for the newbies to yogurt making. I was a bit confused before I made my first batch and I can see that these photos will help anyone starting out. Personally, I put my sugar and flavoring in when the temp reaches 110. I think I would add any dried fruit to the mixture just before refrigerating so I could blend them into the yogurt. Since it is just my DH & myself, I only make a quart at a time. Though I am thinking of mixing up a quart for my daughter who lives 35 miles away. She tried it and loved it. I should be making up a plain one just for my flock. Only problem with that is then I would have to get the big cooler and dumping that hot water out poses a problem for me. I am very short and don't have the leverage. ha But I honestly have no desire for a yogurt maker after trying this method.
I also made the quiche on the Egg & Chicken Recipes which was very good.

Last edited:
You could use a smaller pot for hot water. Leave the cooler outside so that you can easily tip it over to empty then take it into your kitchen to fill with the jars for incubating.

I am all about getting things done efficiently with the least amount of effort. LOL

Photos seems to make things far simpler tahn writing. Sometimes I find that I don't write directions as simple as they need to be.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom