šŸ•Šļø~Roostys bird Rescue!~ šŸ¦…Stories of birds and succes

RoosterWhisperer

Crossing the Road
Sep 13, 2019
Welcome all fellow bird lovers!
This is a thread about my past and present rescue birds! Your all welcome to follow along with the journey!
Happy Dance GIF by Stefanie Shank

(disclaimer: some stories will not be all happy, where there is succes there is also loss. I do the best I can to give them a good life when release isnā€™t an option)
I also may not be able to update the thread regularly due to life. But Iā€™ll try my best!

My current rescue
A young adult black headed grosbeakā€¦.

About a week ago a woman put a post on Facebook about a bird she found that appeared injured. So I went to her place around 8 pm and picked him/her up. (With my father in tow) She had a box thrown over it in the driveway, so luckily I had brought a small animal crate.

I got him home and checked it over, health wise it was fine. Wings were fine and in working order. Yet itā€™s one leg dangled from its body, and not bearing any weight.
I had some help making a makeshift splint, then a small cast. If you have no other options, I recommend using a bit of gauze, antibiotic ointment, and medical wrap. The leg was broken. So from there itā€™s been in a cockatiel sized bird cage with no perches for the first few days, then I added a few once the leg was improving.

Fast forward up to now, itā€˜s starting to bear more weight on the leg, and is perching on its own. It eats fresh blackberries and seed, a typical grosbeak diet.
Hopefully in another week, it shall be flight tested and then released.

(The floor of the cage was quickly removed due to the bar like floor and replaced with sandpaper under a layer of shavings.)
This is a couple photos from day oneā€¦.
AA45B2C8-91C8-421B-A542-CEA7B1050D04.jpeg

1A4806F4-BDBD-4415-BFF9-89FE63989086.jpeg

Moved him into a large dog sized round pen with natural branches. He has gotten quite comfortable with family members passing by. Seeing as heā€™s likely young still, flying is a bit slow.

Fingers crossed that the branches + hanging berries encourage flying.
(good luck finding him ;) )
E5395386-F4FD-4A96-9971-4E4AF459F33D.jpeg

5108E41B-55AA-49B4-AC41-A4B486CB716F.jpeg

Back
Top Bottom