1/3 broody hens left the nest!

Pumpkin23

In the Brooder
Jul 19, 2022
I had 3 broody hens (1 Orpington , and 2 frizzles) that have been wanting to be mamas so bad. I let them and the Orpington had 4 eggs and the 2 frizzles each have 3. The eggs are all standard chicks. The Orpington decided to leave and not be broody anymore?? The eggs are due to hatch in about 2 days!! I put the eggs from the orpington's nest under the frizzles. It was normal for her to get up and eat and go back, but she’s done. I didn’t dare candle all of them besides one quickly and seen what I believe movement while it was still in the nest to not disturb it. Without another option and no incubator and the eggs getting cooler, I gave them to the 2 frizzles which they were more then excited to take. But they are fully loaded now. My mind is is overwhelmed and hope this will work out. My question is, do I need to put a heat lamp or heat plate ( I have both) to supplement heat for these chicks when they hatch? Worried there is too many standard chicks for this 2 tiny frizzle mamas (10 if they hatch and survive). My worry is there is not enough room for these possible 10 chicks (5 each small frizzle) to adequately keep them warm. Why I question putting a heat lamp or heat plate in there??

I had 3 broody hens (1 Orpington , and 2 frizzles) that have been wanting to be mamas so bad. I let them and the Orpington had 4 eggs and the 2 frizzles each have 3. The eggs are all standard chicks. The Orpington decided to leave and not be broody anymore?? The eggs are due to hatch in about 2 days!! I put the eggs from the orpington's nest under the frizzles. It was normal for her to get up and eat and go back, but she’s done. I didn’t dare candle all of them besides one quickly and seen what I believe movement while it was still in the nest to not disturb it. Without another option and no incubator and the eggs getting cooler, I gave them to the 2 frizzles which they were more then excited to take. But they are fully loaded now. My mind is is overwhelmed and hope this will work out. My question is, do I need to put a heat lamp or heat plate ( I have both) to supplement heat for these chicks when they hatch? Worried there is too many standard chicks for this 2 tiny frizzle mamas (10 if they hatch and survive). My worry is there is not enough room for these possible 10 chicks (5 each small frizzle) to adequately keep them warm. Why I question putting a heat lamp or heat plate in there??
Hi! How did it go? How many babies hatched <3

Back
Top Bottom