1 month old chick with tail injury

Edens_Echo

In the Brooder
Mar 10, 2023
I have a 4-5 week old chick who had a horrific injury about a week ago. A lot of skin and feathers went missing and it's back and tail were a bloody mess. No idea what happened but we cleaned and sprayed it with terramycin and have had the chick in my bedroom ever since. A week later the chick otherwise fine and healthy and the skin is starting heal around the edges...but I'm wondering about the preen gland. I'm hoping it isn't badly damaged and will heal in time.
At what point does a chick's preen gland start producing oil?
If the gland is too badly damaged what suggestions for skin and feather care going forward? And anything we can do for the skin and newly growing feathers in the meantime?
Chick is doing a lot of "work" on the feathers, but maybe it's just because the down is growing out?
Thanks!
IMG_20231014_073202.jpg
IMG_20231014_074653.jpg

Oof what a poor darling. Good on you for taking care of it. Maybe you could bring some of your other chicks inside occasionally so it doesn’t get lonely.

I have no idea when the preen gland starts producing oil but I would guess around the time their down starts getting replaced with feathers during their first moult and when the chick starts demonstrating preening behaviour.

I guess it’s just a wait and see but maybe someone else has more knowledge.

I think I would spray the skin with vetericyn or apply something like coconut oil or medi-honey as it heals.

Oof what a poor darling. Good on you for taking care of it. Maybe you could bring some of your other chicks inside occasionally so it doesn’t get lonely.

I have no idea when the preen gland starts producing oil but I would guess around the time their down starts getting replaced with feathers during their first moult and when the chick starts demonstrating preening behaviour.

I guess it’s just a wait and see but maybe someone else has more knowledge.

I think I would spray the skin with vetericyn or apply something like coconut oil or medi-honey as it heals.
Thanks Lilith37, we are using a regenerative aloe gel on the wound. Unfortunately the chicken coop is currently a mile away from where I'm staying (we recently had a lot of flood damage) and the chick is living in my bedroom as my cat would love to make a meal of it. It does get lonely but doesn't complain like some chicks I've had to separate from their broods. My kids do a good job if keeping it company, but they're not chickens haha. It does preen and is busy losing it's down, which is what got me wondering about this...

Back
Top Bottom