1 Rooster +1 hen+ 2 goats+ rv moving across the country=fun

Happybasketful

Chirping
Jul 13, 2021
In need of resources to park my 32' motorhome along the way moving from AZ to Arkansas. Going the northern route up the 40 sometime in September/October and have to stop along the way to sleep. Here's my dilemma: My roo is the best watchdog I've ever had so he will probably crow at every new noise:eek:. Also my goats get a bit vocal:celebrate (totally understated). Not exactly a good neighbor at an rv park situation! I don't need hookups (although a battery recharge would be helpful) but mostly need a safe place to park to sleep:th until I can hit the road again and a place to walk the goats. Probably need to stop 2 times along the way. Anyone have any ideas?:idunno I don't feel safe boondocking in the wilderness or at truck stops.

I am a truck driver,,,, and don't see any problems associated with Truck Stops. Choose those that are along the Interstate. Avoid those that are in town associated with adult venues nearby. The new truck plazas have areas for trucks as well as autos, and RV's Many have security and certain ones charge a small fee for overnight parking.
If you are concerned about a battery recharge, I would suggest you invest in a small portable generator. Pix below. There are differnt kind available from different selllers.
I cant tell you of specifis ones on I-40, because long time since I traveled that strech.
You can take your goats to the pet exercise areas that many truck stops have. On a leash of course. And one at a time possibly. Your roo,,,,, best if you took him out,,,, inside a cage, so you dont have to chase him all over kingdom come.
You do need to provide Roo, with a supply of water as you travel. They don't drink much, but should not go longer without possible access to water than 2 hours. Overnight no need during dark.

WISHING YOU BEST,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,and :welcome

image_2021-07-14_033101.png

Thanks cavemanrich. I had a few friends that had husbands and brothers that were truckers. Nice guys. I have driven cross country before. It's just not in my "mom" comfort zone to stay in truck stops now- been there done that. Also I'm concerned my roo will wake up someone else nearby and anger them or someone is gonna make a bunch of noise and get all my animals going and then I won't sleep either. I guess am kinda hoping someone has a horse hotel or a rural homestead I could park in a ways from their house so it won't disturb them, something similar that's available along the way that would alow a couple goats and wouldn't mind a rooster crowing at 3:30am. I looked up horse motels online and found a lot of them shut down or withdrew their listings that were along my route since I'd checked last. I suppose covid changed a lot of things. I don't drive fast and don't drive for super long, so it will be a longer trip than most people could make it in. I also have appropriately sized kennels for them with their necessary supplies, teaching them to drink from kennel waterers and getting them used to sleeping in them and thats going well.

Last edited:
This site has lots of horse motel listings...maybe some closed ones are are also reopening, as Covid restrictions are lifting.

If all else fails, there's Wal-Mart.
Thanks yes that is the site I used. Unfortunately it seems the ones I had seen close to the 40 and not so far away are not on there now. I should’ve taken screenshots and saved it when I found it first so I’d have their numbers but I didn’t. Perhaps someone who has done the same kind of move might have some info on anything that are along that path? Idk it’s a long shot I know but hopeful. I didn’t think about Walmart do they all allow overnight parking do you ask a manager or call them I don’t know the protocol on that.

Thanks yes that is the site I used. Unfortunately it seems the ones I had seen close to the 40 and not so far away are not on there now. I should’ve taken screenshots and saved it when I found it first so I’d have their numbers but I didn’t. Perhaps someone who has done the same kind of move might have some info on anything that are along that path? Idk it’s a long shot I know but hopeful. I didn’t think about Walmart do they all allow overnight parking do you ask a manager or call them I don’t know the protocol on that.
I've never done it, but looks like they want you to check with store manager. https://corporate.walmart.com/frequently-asked-questions

I didn’t think about Walmart do they all allow overnight parking do you ask a manager or call them I don’t know the protocol on that.
From Walmart's FAQ page:
"While we do not offer electrical service or accommodations typically necessary for RV customers, Walmart values RV travelers and considers them among our best customers. Consequently, we do permit RV parking on our store parking lots as we are able. Permission to park is extended by individual store managers, based on availability of parking space and local laws. Please contact management in each store to ensure accommodations before parking your RV."

From Walmart's FAQ page:
"While we do not offer electrical service or accommodations typically necessary for RV customers, Walmart values RV travelers and considers them among our best customers. Consequently, we do permit RV parking on our store parking lots as we are able. Permission to park is extended by individual store managers, based on availability of parking space and local laws. Please contact management in each store to ensure accommodations before parking your RV."
Ahh ok cool thank you so much!

Back
Top Bottom