1 week old quail avoiding heat completely

MadamContrary

Crowing
8 Years
Mar 22, 2013
Very South Texas
I've been raising quail off and on for the past 8 years, this new batch of babies has been very intolerant to heat. Day 1 they were fine, day 2 I had to turn the heat down already because they were avoiding it, day three I switched to a heat plate versus the ceramic emitter and they seemed to enjoy that, but then I found them on the opposite side of the brooder again the following morning. I kept turning the temperature down watching for signs of chill, and they still avoided it. So today I just turned it off and they seem much happier. I'm just stumped, never had quail off heat before 3 weeks. These birds are from eggs collected from my own flock, all I can think is after so many generations they're adapting to my hot climate? The only other change was I used dry incubation with these birds, but I can't see how that's really a factor 🤷
IMG_20210511_095123~2.jpg
IMG_20210511_095139.jpg

I've noticed that different hatches need more or less heat than others. I just let the chicks tell me what temperature they need. I've taken ones as young as a week off of heat, and I've kept some on heat until 3-4 w
I figured they'd be the best indicators for how much heat they need, it's definitely a first for me.
Never heard anything like it. Maybe they're just too warm?
Me either. It's been unseasonably hot, but they're indoors. They do seem much chubbier than previous chicks so maybe they're just better insulated. No idea really, lol.

The breeder I originally got quail from would remove the heat lamp after a week, here in Southern California. So I have been doing the same, with some exceptions for weak birds.
I'm in South Texas, so I guess it's just good and hot. They are definitely generating body heat, it's 88° in the brooder with no supplementary heat. I hope this means they can go outside earlier than usual as well!

Back
Top Bottom