1-Year-Old Hen "Dancing"

Insnesnakos

Crowing
Premium Feather Member
Jun 19, 2023
New York
I have a one year old hen who's been sitting a lot in the nest box recently, I've had to carry her outside a few times but nothing too serious, as well as removing the eggs.
Today she did a little dance I'll try to describe it here
She scratched the ground a few times in place making sure there wasn't any grass on it, just dirt, then preened her wings switching from left to right and wagged her tail feathers. She also fluffed out her feathers but not in an aggressive way :p
What is she trying to do?

Sounds to me like she was just "stretching"! Maybe she's broody? That's not how my broody acts when I pull her off the nest, but it is how she acts when she gets off by herself.

Sounds to me like she was just "stretching"! Maybe she's broody? That's not how my broody acts when I pull her off the nest, but it is how she acts when she gets off by herself.
She already shook her feathers before, she's broody but it's not that bad, she's not screaming at me or biting me like the last hen did

She already shook her feathers before, she's broody but it's not that bad, she's not screaming at me or biting me like the last hen did
Haha! I dunno, I did have a silent broody once, but I had to break her because she wanted to sit in my gigantic burn pit for some reason, and there was no telling what could have been lurking underneath her. Maybe she's halfway broody! Haha!
They act silly when they're broody!
No kidding!

Back
Top Bottom