1 Year Old Wyandotte Can't Hold her head up suddenly- UPDATED with happy ending šŸ˜

Pics
:hugsAgree continue with the Vitamin E & B and sling ... Look at it as exercise and therapy time for her. She needs to keep those legs/feet/toes working. Maybe you could spend some time with her while she's in it, work her legs & toes. Glad she's doing better.
I can definitely do pt with her!

Hi All,

Just had a call from Penny's vet. She tested negative for lead poisoning, we are still waiting on the zinc test. She is also anemic. We finished her antibiotics today so now she is on:

Half b complex x2 day
Vitamin e 400 is x2 day
Metacam anti inflammatory 1ml x2 day

We are giving her water and her mashed food along with some scrambled eggs

She is in her sling hanging out. I read anemia causes lethargy...

Thoughts?

Hi All-

Looking for some help this morning- my 1 year old blue laced red wyandotte hen Penny Marshall was found in the nesting box last night upon coop inspection. I put her on the roost and quickly realized something was off. She was not able to hold her head up at all, which was odd because I was sitting with her the day before and saw her in the coop that day. I do not know of any trauma or injury that may have caused this and no other hens (flock of 9) have this currently. She was vaccinated for mereks and is pretty healthy otherwise. I brought her in to a crate- she had some food and hard boiled egg with some rooster booster poultry cell mixed in. This morning she is the same- I just gave her 1 ML of nutridrench should it be a vitamin deficiency. Please let me know what I can do to help her get better and what it may be.

Thank you in advance for your help

@Wyorp Rock @azygous @Allsfairinloveandbugs

1) What type of bird , age and weight (does the chicken seem or feel lighter or thinner than the others.)
1 year old blue laced red wyandotte hen- 5 lbs

2) What is the behavior, exactly.
cannot hold her neck up, seems weak

3) How long has the bird been exhibiting symptoms?
12 hours

4) Are other birds exhibiting the same symptoms?
no

5) Is there any bleeding, injury, broken bones or other sign of trauma.
no

6) What happened, if anything that you know of, that may have caused the situation.
nothing that I know of led to this

7) What has the bird been eating and drinking, if at all.
she has been eating her layer pellets and water

8) How does the poop look? Normal? Bloody? Runny? etc.
normal

9) What has been the treatment you have administered so far?
1 ML of nutridrench this morning

10 ) What is your intent as far as treatment? For example, do you want to treat completely yourself, or do you need help in stabilizing the bird til you can get to a vet? I want to treat her- I do have access to a vet if this gets worse

11) If you have a picture of the wound or condition, please post it. It may help.
video below

12) Describe the housing/bedding in use
sand and sweet pdz in coop and run, dirt in outdoor fenced in area

Iā€™m so sorry jenny penny marshall is not well, please keep us up to date šŸ˜Ÿ

Illness uses up a lot of energy for birds, and a lot of them become too weak to hold their head up. Any sign of a chest infection that could be sending infected material to her brain and causing a stroke condition? (Has she been shaking her head, for instance?)

Illness uses up a lot of energy for birds, and a lot of them become too weak to hold their head up. Any sign of a chest infection that could be sending infected material to her brain and causing a stroke condition? (Has she been shaking her head, for instance?)

It's funny you say that, her eyes were always oddly open. I am hoping that's a good thing. Her poops are also perfect. The flock remains healthy, so leaning more towards wry neck.. there was a daffodil leaf in the coop, although uneaten. I cleaned the heck out of everything in the coop today. I also was wondering why it would come about so instantly... any thoughts on that?
What happened to the other daffodil leaves?

We had a teenager hen have wry neck. Shes a polish. I ran to the tractor store for goat gel selenium in a strung tube for oral administration and after a day of cuddling her and isolating ina. ā€œGarage girlā€ hospital metal trough w food and water she recovered w no need for the selenium. One friend said maybe oecked or bopped in the head. But yours isnt a foo foo head so not sure why shed have wry neck. The article i read said others will pick peck and boop their feathery heads. Our flock also showed no signs in any other birds. They were born in march 2023.

Im praying for your hen!!!!āœļøāœļøšŸ™šŸ½šŸ™šŸ½šŸ’•šŸ’•šŸ©·šŸŒøšŸŒøšŸŒ±šŸŒ±

No her neck and head are strong again no shaking currently

Back
Top Bottom