1 Year Old Wyandotte Can't Hold her head up suddenly- UPDATED with happy ending 😍

I'm glad Penny is doing better; it's obvious from her latest video that this saga hit her hard. Did you vet speculate as to what may have caused the elevated zinc levels? Are you familiar with the term "hardware disease"?
I agree, she has not given me any thoughts as to how this came about. I just hope that whatever it was is behind us now. 🙏🏻 I had come across hardware disease but need to research it more.

https://tvmdl.tamu.edu/2019/10/14/h...ds is caused,some other heavy metal toxicosis.
The worse case scenario is when a bird swallows a screw, nail, or some other shiny, zinc-coated object they find in the yard, and can't pass the object. Not saying this is what happened with Penny, but i've needed to have my roof replaced for a couple of years, but am paranoid over loose roofing nails and screws falling to the ground and being discovered by curious chickens.

Any metal around a chicken coop can be coated with zinc. Chelating therapy is usually recommended. Here is a good article to read:
https://wagwalking.com/bird/condition/zinc-poisoning
It's funny because I had read this article but the vet was speaking of medicine for her zinc elevated levels. I need to call the vet as she never got back to me with where we can locate the medicine.
The good news is that Penny continues to progress. She is standing completely and eating her regular layer pellets again.

Hi from Penny Marshall!!

If you are curious, also ask your vet How elevated was Penny's zinc level?, as well as the normal range. (Personally I would want to know.)

She had given it to me, but it was difficult to understand. I need to get more information from her when I speak to her tomorrow and will keep you all posted on those numbers.

She had given it to me, but it was difficult to understand. I need to get more information from her when I speak to her tomorrow and will keep you all posted on those numbers.
I always ask for a hard copy or email of the results when I've had blood work done on a sick animal. Otherwise, I've found it impossible to remember the numbers, especially with my worry and concern involving the sick animal in the first place.

I always ask for a hard copy or email of the results when I've had blood work done on a sick animal. Otherwise, I've found it impossible to remember the numbers, especially with my worry and concern involving the sick animal in the first place.
Smart! I try to remember it and pretend what they just explained to me wasn't a foreign language lol 😆

Hi All!

Penny continues to improve, she moved out to her studio apartment today where she can see but not touch her flockmates.

She is eating and drinking and added perching and dustbathing to her abilities this week.

Attached is the blood work results from the vet I asked to email 😊.
20230613_064631.jpg
I will be speaking to her this week on Penny's progress and diagnosis.

The zinc levels are elevated but not enough to show toxicity. I don't know if chelation is necessary.

Thoughts?

Attachments

• penny marshall labs.pdf
    232.1 KB · Views: 14

Back
Top Bottom