10 (TEN) year old silkie gal can't stand up or move forward

rbc-bow-chicka

Songster
10 Years
Jan 4, 2014
I have a 10 year old silkie that I am afraid is nearing the end of her pretty long run.

I help her in and out of the coop each day. About a week ago, she was apparently not in the mood to go down and turned around on her decent and got her foot caught in some chicken wire. By the time I ran around to free her, she had already released herself. She wasn't moving around a great deal so I brought her up to the house, figured she had strained her leg.

Her nails were very long... so over a period of a few days, I trimmed those down to improve her ambulation. She wasn't eating... but then (duh), I discovered that she was missing her pellets and potentially could not see the crumble I'd put out for her. After I switched to the pellets, she was eating, drinking, moving much better.... the usual. Her vision does seem to have declined, though which I am attributing to age. I put her poof up in a rubberband and that seemed to help.

The day before yesterday, I heard her start making a lot of noise in the hospital coop. Checked on her, nothing seemed amiss. The next day, she was having trouble pushing herself up onto her feet... I gave her water laced with vit e, b 12 and selenium and a little honey... by dropper. After this, her energy seemed to get a boost and she would eat a little... and I saw her push herself up to stand and take a couple of steps. Today though, she can only seem to push herself backwards.... and get herself into a corner of her cage.

In 2015, her coop mate had this same thing going on... eventually put her down. I have learned a lot since then... but I am finding myself drawing a blank here. I treated for mites. Her poops are well formed.... had been drinking okay until this squawking episode the day before yesterday. She is not a young chicken, but I still want to try to help her if I can.

Anything anyone can recommend?

Her vision does seem to have declined, though which I am attributing to age. I put her poof up in a rubberband and that seemed to help.
Do you have photos of her?

She may need the feathers trimmed from around her eyes so she can see better.
Hopefully she will bounce back for a while once she's well hydrated and eating.

10yrs old is getting on in years, so she may be starting to decline due to old age, but give her a going over for lice/mites, make sure her crop is emptying, etc.

I've had two 'special needs' hens in recent years (both BAs) that developed mobility problems which I attributed to Mycoplasma--both MG and MS had been confirmed in my flock. One was 9, the other was 8 1/2 years old. Gave them both palliative care, making sure they had their own secure space and access to mash, water and baby food (fruit & veggie only) throughout the day. Moved them around A LOT depending upon weather, etc. They had sprightly days and quiet days in the months of their care. The one hen, my best buddy, was humanely euthanized; my other girl succumbed in her sleep in Feb. this year. Hope that helps. Everyone's threshold for care of the sick and elderly is different. In my heart I was glad I gave it my best effort, but I have sent many critters to the Rainbow Bridge, too.

Do you have photos of her?

She may need the feathers trimmed from around her eyes so she can see better.
Hopefully she will bounce back for a while once she's well hydrated and eating.

10yrs old is getting on in years, so she may be starting to decline due to old age, but give her a going over for lice/mites, make sure her crop is emptying, etc.
I am SO sorry for the delay. I had been droppering her the vite water several times a day... and finally, she started making a positive turn on Sunday morning. She is still a little unsteady on her feet... putting her wing down to catch herself occasionally... but wow... what a difference.

I do have a picture of her from when I first put her poof up. I trimmed it... along with the feathers around her face. Her vision still seems a little off. She had no lice or mites that I could see... the skin around her eyes looks a little sketchy... like maybe she has scaly leg mites going on. I am going to smear a little vaseline on her face and legs just to see if that helps.

She has not found herself pinned in a corner since late Saturday when I'd checked on her before bed... so we are into the 3rd day of improved ambulation.

I am so thankful that you responded.

I've had two 'special needs' hens in recent years (both BAs) that developed mobility problems which I attributed to Mycoplasma--both MG and MS had been confirmed in my flock. One was 9, the other was 8 1/2 years old. Gave them both palliative care, making sure they had their own secure space and access to mash, water and baby food (fruit & veggie only) throughout the day. Moved them around A LOT depending upon weather, etc. They had sprightly days and quiet days in the months of their care. The one hen, my best buddy, was humanely euthanized; my other girl succumbed in her sleep in Feb. this year. Hope that helps. Everyone's threshold for care of the sick and elderly is different. In my heart I was glad I gave it my best effort, but I have sent many critters to the Rainbow Bridge, too.
Interesting that you mention MG. She actually had a bubbly eye after I trimmed her feathers.... and upon closer inspection, she had a wisp of a feather tuft in her eye. I got that out... and a few hours later, she was bubble free.

Thankfully she is now moving around independently.

I am all about keeping them happy and moving as long as possible. I know chickens hide their illness... but there's just a time when you "know" it is time... and thankfully she is not at that point.

I also have a blind/deaf/brain damaged girl with what I think is sour crop, secondary to a clogged digestive tract (somewhere along the line)... and she is in my second hospital cage. She has been there probably... ?!... I have to check when I posted on her. She is hanging on, moving well, enthusiastic about life most days... and I'm just following her lead. I know I am incorrectly medicating her.... going a few days on... and a few days off food/grit.. plus on and off with the medicated water. When she stops eating, I know it is time to rest her gut...in 2 days, she is walking around in circles looking for food and her crop is completely flat. So we play this by ear. She is my real charity case. Her name is Tommie. My silkie is Miranda.

So you can see, I have issues. If they are wanting to live, I make sure they do... if it is days of not looking hopeful at all... then we cross that bridge.

Thank you for your input on my old gal.

Good advice from Wyorp Rock and Texsuze. A chicken sling might be helpful if she continues to be lame and will tolerate it. Here are some examples especially posts 5, 11, and 12:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/versions-of-chick-chairs-please.1166308/
Wow. Oh my goodness. Thank you for sharing this. I am saving it to my "special chick file." These are amazing. We have done little cups with chicks.. but using the bottle caps for feed and water is just genius. Thank you!!

Back
Top Bottom