10 week old Cockerel pecks me when I pick up his sister

Ok... This is very interesting!

I actually have used treats as distraction from pecking with my two broody hens during their first hatch. In both cases after two or three times the protective pecking completely stops, and I become a friend who brings food for their babies. After that, when I reach out a hand the hen will actually get excited and start making the food noises to the chicks, and will take food very gently from my hand. At least for these hens, the treat wasn't interpreted as a reward, and most certainly didn't encourage the behavior. Instead it was a demonstration that I'm friend not foe. Here's a pic of my recent mama hen with her first hatch, chicks only 2 days old, eating out my hand, because everybody loves chicks. It hadn't occurred to me to use this with my little Cockerel, but I may try two or three times, no more, and see if that helps.

I did pull him out first tonight, and no pecking, just one little squack! Unless, or until, he does this in other scenarios, maybe I will just try to avoid it. He's been a good boy otherwise. I'm not sure I want to start something if I don't need to... Though I did like that squirrel and horse analogy.

Thanks all! I feel much better armed with potential options now, depending on how his behavior develops as I try a few of these.

Attachments

• IMG_20200730_165903046.jpg
    IMG_20200730_165903046.jpg
    381.5 KB · Views: 5
If I may share a technique that has worked for me? At about three weeks my BJG cockerel began acting aggressively toward my hand when I was cleaning the brooder or changing the food or water. The other 16 chicks were Black Australorps, some of each gender. He would approach boldly at first, then began to charge and bump me with his chest. I wondered what another cockerel would do, and decided, bump back. So I lightly bopped him in the chest. He bopped me again, harder. So I thumped him back, harder. We repeated this about three times. Each time he thumped me, I thumped him back, just a bit harder than he'd hit me. The last time he staggered back a bit and thought it over. I knew I'd hurt him a bit. He decided he'd had enough and didn't come back. Later that day he tried again, and when I thumped him back, he stepped back and didn't come back for more. He's about six months old now and he doesn't challenge me. We've come to an understanding. He rules the roost. And I rule the rooster.

Back
Top Bottom