11 Week Chick Layed Egg

senilking

In the Brooder
5 Years
Jun 14, 2018
We've two older hens and a rooster in a coop that get let out to roam our yard and woods, and 4 "chick" hens and 3 roosters that stay in a small house at night and are let into the chicken yard most days. One of the older hens is broody.

Chicks were born on May 25.

So last week I came home late at night and the chicks were gathered in a corner with a egg under them, the older were in the coop as expected. No way one of the chicks layed it, I thought, so one of the hens must have jumped the fence they rarely ever do, layed an egg in there instead of the coop where they ALWAYS lay, and then jumped back out to go to sleep. Not impossible, but if the chicks were older I'd definitely say they layed it.

But.. now I've had all the chicks and chickens cooped up in their places for three days, and I open the chicks to find an egg in there...

So what's going on? 11 weeks is impossible, right?

Also, the two mystery eggs are blue. Our colored layer is broody and won't leave the nest for anything, only the brown egger is roaming.

We've two older hens and a rooster in a coop that get let out to roam our yard and woods, and 4 "chick" hens and 3 roosters that stay in a small house at night and are let into the chicken yard most days. One of the older hens is broody.

Chicks were born on May 25.

So last week I came home late at night and the chicks were gathered in a corner with a egg under them, the older were in the coop as expected. No way one of the chicks layed it, I thought, so one of the hens must have jumped the fence they rarely ever do, layed an egg in there instead of the coop where they ALWAYS lay, and then jumped back out to go to sleep. Not impossible, but if the chicks were older I'd definitely say they layed it.

But.. now I've had all the chicks and chickens cooped up in their places for three days, and I open the chicks to find an egg in there...

So what's going on? 11 weeks is impossible, right?

Also, the two mystery eggs are blue. Our colored layer is broody and won't leave the nest for anything, only the brown egger is roaming.
How big is the egg? If it is super tiny then it might be.

Wow, maybe you're just lucky? I don't think an 11-week old laying is impossible, but it's very rare...were the eggs small? Or weird-shaped, no-yolks, or any other clue they were laid by a beginner?

Back
Top Bottom