12 fertilized eggs? What now….

Just picked up the eggs, any guesses what breed they are?
My response from your other thread:
The dark brown ones are probably Marans, Cream Legbar lay light blue, blue/gree/Olive are Easter Egger/Olive Egger, Polish lay white & Ayem Cemani lay cream. Cochin, Sussex, Wyandotte, Rhode Island & Plymouth Rock all lay light brown. Hope that helps!

I'm in a similar situation with a first time broody silkie. I am going to incubate some myself as a back up just in case because all my Silkies are new layers and I didn't get a chance to confirm fertility before she started sitting. I'd hate for her to sit for so long and not get any chicks out of the deal. I'll be candling tomorrow if she cooperates and hopefully see some development, if not I'll put some of the newer eggs in the incubator, about 75% of the silkie eggs are fertilized from what I'm seeing now. My Cockerel is doing his job with all the other breeds too, but I don't know if I want to hatch any mixed birds just yet. Good luck with your broody!

I'm in a similar situation with a first time broody silkie. I am going to incubate some myself as a back up just in case because all my Silkies are new layers and I didn't get a chance to confirm fertility before she started sitting. I'd hate for her to sit for so long and not get any chicks out of the deal. I'll be candling tomorrow if she cooperates and hopefully see some development, if not I'll put some of the newer eggs in the incubator, about 75% of the silkie eggs are fertilized from what I'm seeing now. My Cockerel is doing his job with all the other breeds too, but I don't know if I want to hatch any mixed birds just yet. Good luck with your broody!
We don’t have a rooster so we had to specifically buy fertilized eggs locally. I just got an incubator that’s arriving tomorrow morning so I will be putting 6 in the incubator, while the other 6 I just placed under her tonight. I’ve read that silkies make great moms so I’m hopeful for both you and me.

My response from your other thread:
The dark brown ones are probably Marans, Cream Legbar lay light blue, blue/gree/Olive are Easter Egger/Olive Egger, Polish lay white & Ayem Cemani lay cream. Cochin, Sussex, Wyandotte, Rhode Island & Plymouth Rock all lay light brown. Hope that helps!
Very helpful, I appreciate it! I’m excited to see which ones will make the 21 day journey and hatch.

Back
Top Bottom