-17 Forecast

Jun 15, 2022
Grand Gorge, NY
Hi all,

I’m located in upstate NY, my coop uninsulated and I haven’t used any heat so far this winter. It’s been fairly mild so far for our winters averaging mid 20s. I had one minor frostbite issue with my jersey giant roo on his waddles when it reached 2 degrees but he’s fine now and my 16 hens have done great.

This week is supposed to be really cold with the coldest day being a high of 10 and a low of -17.

Should I give them supplemental heat just for a few days?

Thanks for the feedback!

Hi all,

I’m located in upstate NY, my coop uninsulated and I haven’t used any heat so far this winter. It’s been fairly mild so far for our winters averaging mid 20s. I had one minor frostbite issue with my jersey giant roo on his waddles when it reached 2 degrees but he’s fine now and my 16 hens have done great.

This week is supposed to be really cold with the coldest day being a high of 10 and a low of -17.

Should I give them supplemental heat just for a few days?

Thanks for the feedback!
If you haven’t figured out and made a plan to fix how he got the frostbite last time, you’ll want to do that. (Address drafts in the coop, plan to keep them in the coop more that day or two, etc)

If you haven’t figured out and made a plan to fix how he got the frostbite last time, you’ll want to do that. (Address drafts in the coop, plan to keep them in the coop more that day or two, etc)
Sorry hit send too fast. Was just gonna add that I can’t suggest much more than that myself since I’m a southerner 😬. But sounds like the frostbite indicates a definite issue?

I live in Eastern Idaho and last night we got down to -23 degrees (-35 with windchill) I gave my hens some scratch grains before they went in the coop for the night since I’ve heard a full crop helps them stay warmer. They don’t have any supplemental heat and they did just fine. I don’t have a rooster but I have one hen with a larger comb and the tips are frostbitten from the weather this winter. I’ve heard of people putting Vaseline on the combs to help prevent frostbite, but I’ve never personally tried it.

Good luck! I know these super cold temperatures can be stressful!

The coop is pretty draft free. I think it was due to the waterer and his waddles dipping into the water (his massive single comb was totally fine) I got a nipple style waterer and haven’t had issues since.

I’ve heard of people putting Vaseline on the combs to help prevent frostbite, but I’ve never personally tried it.
Yeah, that doesn't work and can actually make it worse.

The coop is pretty draft free. I think it was due to the waterer and his waddles dipping into the water (his massive single comb was totally fine) I got a nipple style waterer and haven’t had issues since.
That's good.
Is the temp supposed to stay that low for days and days?

I give mine some electrolytes every few days during extreme temps, works in frigid temps as well as high heat.
Here's the deets:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/aarts-extreme-weather-spiel.75893/

I had some minor frostbite issues in the last cold spell. My coop has great ventilation. BUT ... 4 hens spent a lot of time crammed into the nest boxes - sometimes all 4 in a single box. I didn't chase them out as I assumed they knew what was best for themselves for those 3 days or so.

I suspect that's what led to my problems. After the cold spell, the wood shavings in one nest box were all wet, and that's never happened before or since.

Between winter and molting, they lay at odd times, so I can't easily close off the nest boxes in the morning. But, I will if it gets really cold or it looks like they're spending too much time there again.

I share my story just because even though things seem good, there can be overlooked details. Hopefully others won't make the mistake I did.

That's good.
Is the temp supposed to stay that low for days and days?

I give mine some electrolytes every few days during extreme temps, works in frigid temps as well as high heat.
Here's the deets:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/aarts-extreme-weather-spiel.75893/
It’s not supposed to get warmer than 10 degrees for 3 days, I’ve seen one forecast for Friday night saying it could reach -22.

I have electrolytes on hand so I’ll make sure to do that.

Back
Top Bottom