1st night chick in nesting box

I've had chicks 5-1/2 weeks old go through nights in the mid 20's Fahrenheit with no supplemental heat. Even with the rain, as long as it is dry inside the coop, you do not have to worry about them getting cold.

You said you will. I think that is a great idea.

Chickens generally don't like change but they can be very adaptable given a little time. The first time in total darkness they can get upset and vocal but after 10 to 15 minutes they usually go to sleep, they have adapted.

As long as my chicks are not sleeping in the nests and are somewhere predator safe I don't care where they sleep in the coop (or in some cases even outside). I don't care if they sleep alone or in a group. Each chick is an individual with its own preferences.

I don't know why that chick is not following the other chicks to your lowest roost or why the others are on the lowest roost instead of the highest. It's their first night out there, they might need a little time to get their act together. There is nothing unusual about that, they are still chicks. A photo showing the layout of the inside of your coop showing relationship of the roosts and nests might give us some clues.

Chickens don't need a night light. They actually do better if they sleep in darkness. Too much light can cause some egg laying problems, possibly behavioral problems too. Light and when it gets dark or gets light affects different things with chickens including when they molt, when they release a yolk to start the internal egg making process, and other things. Light and darkness is important to them. I'd turn that night light off.

As someone mentioned they need to be able to see to put themselves to bed when it gets dark. How much natural light your coop gets can have an effect on that. If you have enough windows you are probably OK but some people find it helps to get them to go into the coop when it starts to turn dark (if the coop is dark) if you have a small light on. Just turn it off after they are inside.

The chicks should put themselves to bed when it gets dark. Sometimes that is in the coop but often they want to sleep out in the run. You may have to train them to go inside on their own. Sometimes leaving them locked in the coop only (no run) for a few days can train them but that seldom works for me. I go out when it gets dark and they have settled wherever they are planning on sleeping. If it is outside I move them into the coop. If it is dark they are usually not that hard to catch. Some people like to set them on the roosts when they do that but I don't. I just toss them in on the coop floor, lock them in, and let them figure out where they want to sleep. They can handle that part of it. I've had some broods catch on to going in the coop on their own as it is getting dark in just a few days, I've had two broods where it took three weeks before the last few got the message. My broods are typically around 20 chicks to put it into perspective.

You can try luring them into the coop with treats just before dark and locking them in there. Depending on what your coop and run looks like you may be able to herd them in but herding chickens is often not easy. Besides you may not want them to be scared of you.

I personally don't see that you are doing anything wrong at all, though I'd turn the light off. You are just going through the first time learning curve and are really worried about them. You should soon discover just how tough they are and how well they can manage themselves with just a little help. Good luck!
Oh my goodness...thank you so much for all that info!!! This was night 2 and we started earlier. They seemed ready. I lured them in with treats, shut the door and then listened to the chaos, lol. A few were trying to roost on the tiny window sill and kept falling, so I got in there and placed them on the roost and a few minutes later they were singing their nighttime song.

It sounds silly, I know, but after having them in the garage and easy to check on, this is an adjustment for me! I can't peek in on them anymore and I miss that. But it's so fun to see them trot down their runway first thing in the morning!

I so appreciate your expertise and that you took the time to share it with me! Thank you!

Oh my goodness...thank you so much for all that info!!! This was night 2 and we started earlier. They seemed ready. I lured them in with treats, shut the door and then listened to the chaos, lol. A few were trying to roost on the tiny window sill and kept falling, so I got in there and placed them on the roost and a few minutes later they were singing their nighttime song.

It sounds silly, I know, but after having them in the garage and easy to check on, this is an adjustment for me! I can't peek in on them anymore and I miss that. But it's so fun to see them trot down their runway first thing in the morning!

I so appreciate your expertise and that you took the time to share it with me! Thank you!
@Ridgerunner rocks!!! Oodles of patience explaining things and so clear when he does. I consider him one of the bastions of good sense - and a friend to boot!

When I put my Cochin Bantams outside they all crammed in a nesting box together for a while. Once they discovered the roost, that is where they stayed.

We had one Rhode Island start sleeping in the nesting box as soon as we moved them to the coop. She is a bit of a loner, but after a few days I noticed that she was probably getting on the roost in the middle of the night because there was no poop in the box. Now she is sleeping on the roost with the rest of the girls. This was probably a week to 10-day process. At first, I was concerned that she was sleeping there by herself, but she’s up on the roost with the rest now. We never covered our nesting boxes.

Back
Top Bottom