1st time chicken owner, 1st broody, 1st hatching

tnols

In the Brooder
Aug 20, 2023
Hi All. I need information. I am a first time chicken owner & 1 of my hens went broody(@ 6 months old) so I gave her 3 eggs. All 3 are fertile & I have observed movement in the eggs. we are about 7 days out from hatching. My questions are these; Should I move mama into a separate pen with the eggs (the rest of the flock are jerks tbh) do I feed medicated or non-medicated chick starter, do the chicks need to be vaccinated & if so, how do I go about doing that. I've tried searching but nothing I've read has fully answered my questions. Thank you all so much for any answers you may have.

I wouldn't move the broody at this point as it could be fatal to the hatch. For this case, I would block her area off from the rest of the flock to protect the chicks. Once the chicks hatch, then I would move her to a different pen. Any chick feed is probably fine unless you have health issues in your flock. I've hatched chicks for many years and have never vaccinated them. Because the eggs are from your flock and are hatching under one of your hens, the chicks will have a natural immunity passed down to them from the layer of their eggs.

Back
Top Bottom