1wk old quail breathing fast

CloneFly

Never say Never
Premium Feather Member
Mar 8, 2022
Hello all, so I had hatched out 6 Coturnix quail mixes about a week ago and I noticed right away that one if the babies was breathing faster than everyone else and rather lethargic. I gave her some B12 and water, called it a night and she's made it up to now. She still breathes quite fast, she's also half the size of the rest of her hatchmates- despite being older than most of them. I'm currently out of town so I brought the babies with me. Everyone else is doing fine, but she's breathing pretty hard (mouth was open at one point) and is acting lethargic again. She's also underweight despite having access to and eating chick starter all day. Her stool is normal, though a bit on the small size. (Not enough food?)

Currently keeping her warm; I also gave her sugar water and some egg in hopes of her perking up... is there anything else I can do for her? Especially until I get home? I'm quite worried, she's such a sweetie and I'd really like to not start the new year with another dead baby...😥

@Kiki any advice?

Last edited:
Hi! Do you have nutri drench? Can you add it to their water? Is she getting bullied at all away from the food? Can you put two feed dishes?
I have some nutridrench at home, I'm out of town till Wensday though.
Her 2 other cage mates are super chill and don't chase her away from the food... there's always plenty! She's just not that interested. She'll nibble a bit then go back to sleep :(

I have some nutridrench at home, I'm out of town till Wensday though.
Her 2 other cage mates are super chill and don't chase her away from the food... there's always plenty! She's just not that interested. She'll nibble a bit then go back to sleep :(
Offer some plain and sweetened water, can you give her some coconut oil, a couple of hardened chunks to see if she needs to have a little cleansing?

I'm afraid I don't have any on me. I did give her sugar water though!

Back
Top Bottom