2 broody hens in 1 nest...

ErnieBerley

Songster
Aug 28, 2019
Marshall NC (western NC mountains)
I have 2 Mille fleur d'uccle hens that are trying to sit on the same nest..... it started out for 15 days with 1 of the hens, then another moved into the territory. I dont guess it really matters? but what will the chicks think with 2 moms? anyone have experience letting this play out without trying to move or break them? thanks

Some people let multiple broodies share a nest and raise chicks together and it works out great. They are really cute with two or more hens taking care of them. The chicks don't care, they are being well taken care of.

I don't do that. I had hens fight over the eggs when they internal pip and the chicks start cheeping inside the eggs. Half the eggs were destroyed. Sometimes broody hens with their own nests or their own broods of chickens will fight over them, the eggs or chicks can be injured.

I have not seen this myself but some people say they have seen one broody kill the chicks that hatch under the other. Sometimes with two hens on two separate nests on different schedules, when one brood starts to hatch the other broody abandons her nest to go to the other chicks, either working with the other broody or fighting her or control of the chicks.

Lots of people apparently don't have these problems, it works a fair amount of the time. It is really cute when it does work.

Yeah, broken eggs aside. I have never had good luck with it. Everyone seems to have the cutest stories about hens sharing chicks, but the two times I let hens share a nest one or the other killed all, if not most, of the chicks. I am not usually a "softy" when it comes to chickens, but coming outside to new chicks pecked to the bone was pretty upsetting. I separate the one I like best to sit on the eggs and the other goes to broody jail.

As an extra info most of my chickens are pretty hefty types, french black copper marans, EEs, Ameraucana, New hampshires, and welsummers.
I have only really heard success stories from folks that have silkies, but am interested to hear others experiences.

Back
Top Bottom