2 chickens, one shows up with a hole on top of her head.......

Boarding00n

In the Brooder
Oct 12, 2020
Hartford, CT
So, yeah pretty simple and just as the title says. So, during the week, I don't see my chickens much do to my schedule but my mom does stop by and take care of them. this past friday I got out of work early, went home before they were roosting and one of them had a actual freaking hole at the very top of her head. Like, not a bruise but a actual freaking hole. So, clearly, I assume it is the other chicken that has pecked her but good lord to the point that she cracked the other ones skull and there was a hole that I could actually look into!! So, on sat it seemed to start to heal, sun it was looking really good.

Today, I got out of work early and what do I find, it went from being a freaking hole to a damn crack and big. Like WTF, is this normal for that much damage to happen by another chicken?

Weird thing is the one with the hole, doesnt even really seem affected by it, her behavior is no different. She doesnt even seem to be afraid of the other chicken.

The worse part, the hole wasnt even able to fully cure before she was pecked again.

So, I live in the city and have the coop in my back porch, so there are no wild animals going in there, not even a mouse would be able to get in, let alone hurt the chicken in that manner.

I currently have them apart.

Separating them is certainly best, since the other hen will continue to pick at the wound. It may be sad to see her quarantined, but it’s the only way to protect her enough to let the wound heal.

Back
Top Bottom