2 clutches, 2 momma hens

Goatm0m

Chirping
Apr 16, 2022
East Tennessee
I have a hen (Judy) who hatched 4 chicks on 7/6/22. The next hen (Wanda) hatched two on 7/28/22. Judy and her checks were successfully moved into the run with no other chickens in it. They have happily taken care of all the vegetation and constantly kick mulch into their water and food containers.
1. I am concerned that the run is no longer interesting for them. Today Judy seems to be watching the other chickens outside the run and making little cute noises instead of her usually harsh “get over here you stupid chicks” noises. I would be happy letting her out without the chicks, but I am afraid if the chicks go out they may not come back.
2. Judy is a “fighting chicken” according to my neighbor who gave her to me. Wanda is not. Is there any way to introduce Wanda and her chicks into the run without bloodshed? Or can I kick Judy out and let Wanda in? Will Judy want to return to her chicks at night?
4A03DAC6-58FE-4081-A848-363692636F27.jpeg
2904E5CD-EACA-41B1-B958-4195C52A77B2.jpeg 4C96294A-B125-4A20-BF2A-5512C7FF9528.jpeg
last photo is Wanda protecting 1 day old chicks

3. There are also some “teenage“ chicks who were born approximately mid June. Would these be appropriate to introduce to Judy’s chicks?

My goal is to have a flock of about 10-12 safely in the run, coop and another run being built. I do not know the sex of any of the young ones and Judy being overly aggressive is an issue. I don’t mind culling roosters eventually or even Judy if she deems others unacceptable. Well, I might mind it but I am prepared if necessary.

Last edited:
I think Judy is ready to wean her chicks. My hens usually go back to roosting with the adults at 4 weeks.

Judy’s chicks and Wanda plus her chicks should be fine together. The bigger chicks might try to bully the smaller ones but Wanda will become a “fighting chicken” if her chicks are in danger. 😁

Thanks, Cinnamon Roll! I’m so afraid I’ll cause a terrible accident with my inexperience. Just this week they have all started roosting instead of snuggling in the nest, too. Makes sense

What about the approx 9 week old chicks? Are they too old to go in with the little ones? There are 4 but two are definitely cockerels so I wouldn’t try to get them in, just the pullets

If the run & coop is big enough for that many then they should be fine too. As long as there are groups of different ages (no loners) and the smallest ones have their protective mom it will all work out.

Back
Top Bottom