2 drakes? More like 4

quackfishing

Chirping
Jun 22, 2022
I got Ancona ducks today, but I took the extra drake so he wouldn’t be lonely and so he couldn’t bang her chickens and kill them anymore. And now I think one of my Rouen girls is a boy because of his quack has been raspier than ever. So that means I have 2 Rouen males and 2 Ancona males. I am planning on separating the 2 hens into their own run, but right now the Ancona triplets are in a pen so they can get used to my ducks. How long do they need to stay separate? I know the original owner so they probably don’t have any diseases, and I would like to get the females to their own coop because it is 2 mature drakes with the Ancona hen, and they will prob start picking on her. I can tell they have started breeding as her neck feathers seem ruffled kind of. The anconas are gorgeous though. Their feathers have a green sheen and one of the boys has brown wings and they all have bluish eyes
Should I put the female Ancona with my young ducks? They don’t know her but I don’t have a kiddie pool in their separated pen so she would be on the floor and if I did put the extra kiddie pool in I don’t want them to drown her by both going at the same time

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 17
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 7
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    778.9 KB · Views: 7
If you are not quarantining, you should do "see no touch" for a few days and see if there is any interest. Then you might do some supervised time together and see how it goes. My son has had success with non-agressive females, just putting them together. I prefer to do it little by little.

THank you for taking the last drake!

Good idea to have the two female housed separately from the drakes

If you are not quarantining, you should do "see no touch" for a few days and see if there is any interest. Then you might do some supervised time together and see how it goes. My son has had success with non-agressive females, just putting them together. I prefer to do it little by little.

THank you for taking the last drake!

Good idea to have the two female housed separately from the drakes
Yeah, 4 drakes does not sound fun. I will probably start taking in drakes from an animal sanctuary in a while, now that I am going to separate the females when the boys mature, so I will leave the pen up for new drakes when I get them. They are a waste of money because I don’t eat them, but I would rather them come here than to a place with not enough females available

Yeah, 4 drakes does not sound fun. I will probably start taking in drakes from an animal sanctuary in a while, now that I am going to separate the females when the boys mature, so I will leave the pen up for new drakes when I get them. They are a waste of money because I don’t eat them, but I would rather them come here than to a place with not enough females available
My flock is all rescued drakes. They are not a waste of money as I love them and htey keep me entertained. One of my muscovies is a big soft lump who wants to be petted all the time, and the three pekins are all soft and cuddly although they don't volunteer to be cuddled like the muscovy!

Back
Top Bottom