2 month old leg problems

Artistaduck

In the Brooder
Jun 12, 2022
Hi! I know this is an issue that rises quite often but I am a new duck mom and need guidance!
I recently took in 6, 2 month old ducks. 2 Pekin, 2 Runner, 2 RunnerXAncona

One Pekin is really struggling to get around. I am aware of their tendency to leg issues as meat ducks. I was told her mother also has a bit of a leg issue but she is supposedly the only duck to have developed this problem of the bunch. I have started them on a vitamin supplement in the pellets. Is there anything else I should be doing to help her? How do I tell if she is suffering? She limps around and trips over her own feet if she tries to run. But eats and drinks okay.
She and the Drake Pekin are super tight and will sometimes even be hanging out apart from the rest of the flock…but occasionally she will just go lay in the duck house by herself. I don’t want to cull anyone unless 100% necessary. I think one of the other 4 also may be a Drake so I am going to have to make some decisions at some point :(

Thank you in advance!

Attachments

• D4C80853-6116-4B05-A976-2B94402C16E4.jpeg
    D4C80853-6116-4B05-A976-2B94402C16E4.jpeg
    724.9 KB · Views: 17
This is the supplement mixed into their pellets. Is it enough?

Attachments

• D8F0AED6-A249-40BD-ACE2-C28ED1B0EEE4.jpeg
    D8F0AED6-A249-40BD-ACE2-C28ED1B0EEE4.jpeg
    138.7 KB · Views: 8
The only problem with putting it into their feed when one is already having trouble is you don't know how much of the niacin she is getting. What is best to do when your seeing leg issues is get liquid B complex this can be put over a tasty treat just for the one having the problem and it works fast and pretty quick unless it's been ongoing for a while then it takes longer to work. But TSC carries one it will say injectable but we use it orally. Most of the time unless an injury it's a niacin deficiency and the liquid B Complex is the best there is. :welcome 1 ml over a yummy treat. https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/niacin-deficiency-in-waterfowl.1367557/
17DFE536-D6BA-42E3-BA72-BDC483A7F025.jpeg

The only problem with putting it into their feed when one is already having trouble is you don't know how much of the niacin she is getting. What is best to do when your seeing leg issues is get liquid B complex this can be put over a tasty treat just for the one having the problem and it works fast and pretty quick unless it's been ongoing for a while then it takes longer to work. But TSC carries one it will say injectable but we use it orally. Most of the time unless an injury it's a niacin deficiency and the liquid B Complex is the best there is. :welcome 1 ml over a yummy treat. https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/niacin-deficiency-in-waterfowl.1367557/View attachment 3145609
Thank you! I’m going to get some tomorrow morning. Should I stop the supplement in their food or is that good to have for all of them?

Back
Top Bottom