2 roosters

breadlady

In the Brooder
Sep 28, 2023
I have 2 roosters 11 hens. One rooster definetly dominant. I penned one up (the weak one) to keep him from getting hurt as dominant hurts him.
What do i do, penning him is making him mean. Not penned, dominant kicks his butt and he gets in pen to get away. I have 5ried to give him away but no takers.

Rooster reality. I too, have a flock of 11 hens, and I raised up 2 cockerels under them. In December, I gave one to a friend that needed a rooster.

Thing is, while they didn't seem to be any stress between them or in the flock, when the one left, the tension that I wasn't really aware of left and my flock was much happier and much more cohesive. I have often posted that I would not try and keep 2 roosters with less than 20-25 head of birds, but I had not got around to it.

Culling the rooster is actually good advice. I assume that he has had a real good life, and a quick moment is all it takes. Sometimes you can find someone to take him, but a lot of times you can't.

Solve for peace in the flock, and you cannot wish them nice.

Mrs K

I have 2 roosters 11 hens. One rooster definetly dominant. I penned one up (the weak one) to keep him from getting hurt as dominant hurts him.
What do i do, penning him is making him mean. Not penned, dominant kicks his butt and he gets in pen to get away. I have 5ried to give him away but no takers.
Did they grow up together? If so, it usually works out. I have two roosters that are in a rooster only coop/run, and one is definitely dominate, and sometimes they fight, but they are afraid of my fishing net. I use it to pull away the roosters when they fight. Now when they see it, they instantly stop. If this doesn't work - move their coop and run away from the ladies. Roosters are awesome and really good friends when there is nothing to fight about. Don't cull, they are just doing their jobs.

Back
Top Bottom