2 sick chickens....please advise

Cluckengoodtimes

In the Brooder
Apr 6, 2022
Please help.. I need advice on possible diagnosis. I noticed a couple weeks ago one of my hens seemed lethargic. She is a Braham. Seemed to get better after putting apple cider vinegar in there water. Now she seem to be getting worse. Very lethargic, by her self most of the time and hunched up. I noticed today another hen with some of the same symptoms. They have plenty of food and water. They are both about 2 years old and different breeds. Rest of the flock seems fine. One was vaccinated one was not. I don't want to lose one or put the rest of the flock in danger. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thank you

You may want to quarantine in the event the two are contagious since you started with one and now two are affected.
What other symptoms, just lethargic & hunched over?
Added any new ones to your flock recently?
When was the last time each laid an egg?
Have you checked their crops? Should be empty in the AM & full in the PM.
What are you feeding? Are they eating/drinking/pooping?

I noticed a couple weeks ago one of my hens seemed lethargic. She is a Braham. Seemed to get better after putting apple cider vinegar in there water. Now she seem to be getting worse. Very lethargic, by her self most of the time and hunched up. I noticed today another hen with some of the same symptoms. They have plenty of food and water. They are both about 2 years old and different breeds.
Is her crop emptying overnight?

You may want to quarantine in the event the two are contagious since you started with one and now two are affected.
What other symptoms, just lethargic & hunched over?
Added any new ones to your flock recently?
When was the last time each laid an egg?
Have you checked their crops? Should be empty in the AM & full in the PM.
What are you feeding? Are they eating/drinking/pooping?
Just hunched over and lethargic, that I noticed. The color in their faces seem pale. They don't seem to be eating or drinking much or at all. I am not sure about them laying an egg. I have a flock of about 20 so not sure. They have a large fence in area to roam. Crop seemed empty but mabey that's because not eating much? It is hard to tell about the poop too. Feeding regular laying mesh we get from a mill. Have not added any new members.
Thank you for the response!

Try getting them to eat some moistened chicken feed, scrambled egg bits, plain yogurt, canned cat food, or tuna. Anything in moderation to get them eating. Feel of the crops this evening when they should be full, and check again in morning when crop should be empty. Pictures of poops would help. Pouktry NutriDrench 2 ml given orally may give them a boost of vitamins and electrolytes.

Back
Top Bottom