2 week old chicks scared of dark?

cp2894_

Songster
May 17, 2022
Indiana
I have 5 chicks staying in a brooder in our garage. They have a heating plate instead of heat lamp so when bed time comes around, there's no added light. I go in there, turn on my flashlight, and then turn off the garage light. I shine my flashlight on the side of their brooder with the heating plate in an effort to get them all together so that they won't be lost or alone. Every night though, even with the flashlight, they start letting out a loud distressed chirp. Is this normal? The rest of the day, they're active, seemingly healthy, and letting out normal soft cheeps. They chirp loud for at least 5 min after turning off the lights. I feel so bad having to do that to them every night:(

That is normal. They're all used to the light, then when everything goes dark, they panic. Sometimes they'll all pile in a corner trampling the weak. :(

If you can, make things as natural as you can. Instead of shutting the light off suddenly, have it gradually get dark in there like the sun is setting. If you have windows in the garage that shine enough light in, that might be all you need. Or, if their brooder is predator proof, you can just leave the garage door open to let the natural light in, and the natural decline of the light. ;)

I took a couple of weeks to transition my chicks to night/day. Do you have a small plug-in nightlight you can put in the garage near the brooder? Maybe a tiny, dim gooseneck desk lamp that you can plug in and point away in the far corner of the room? I'd leave that on for a few hours then switch it off for the rest of the night. We took a couple of weeks to gradually wean them off any light at night at all. Eventually they didn't need the supplemental light anymore.

I have 5 chicks staying in a brooder in our garage. They have a heating plate instead of heat lamp so when bed time comes around, there's no added light. I go in there, turn on my flashlight, and then turn off the garage light. I shine my flashlight on the side of their brooder with the heating plate in an effort to get them all together so that they won't be lost or alone. Every night though, even with the flashlight, they start letting out a loud distressed chirp. Is this normal? The rest of the day, they're active, seemingly healthy, and letting out normal soft cheeps. They chirp loud for at least 5 min after turning off the lights. I feel so bad having to do that to them every night:(
Mine chirped and chirped so loud when i removed the lamp. I put a night light near the brooder and that solved the 'crying'! Precious little buddies! 🐓❤️

yep, completely normal for them to be afraid of the dark. I use a solar light in the brooder, it fades during the night as it uses up the solar energy so they gradually get used to the dark, I start putting the solar light into the brooder about 5 minutes earlier each night so that it starts fading sooner until eventually they don't need the added light at all, it's a gentle way to wean them off the light. I get the solar lights from Dollar Tree so it's not an expense and being Dollar Tree quality (don't get me wrong, I love Dollar Tree but...it is what it is) they seem to fade a little sooner than other more expensive lights. Just remember to take the solar light out of the brooder in the morning to charge and in my experience, using a light bulb to charge the solar lights vs outside light doesn't work that well, it fades in minutes rather than a few hours. Plus, using a Dollar Tree light means that if they wreck it or it gets wet or something, it's not a big deal, it's just $1.25 hahaha.

That is normal. They're all used to the light, then when everything goes dark, they panic. Sometimes they'll all pile in a corner trampling the weak. :(

If you can, make things as natural as you can. Instead of shutting the light off suddenly, have it gradually get dark in there like the sun is setting. If you have windows in the garage that shine enough light in, that might be all you need. Or, if their brooder is predator proof, you can just leave the garage door open to let the natural light in, and the natural decline of the light. ;)
Sorry for responding so late! Been a busy week. That's a great idea! There's no windows but it is predator proof so I could give leaving the garage door open a try.

yep, completely normal for them to be afraid of the dark. I use a solar light in the brooder, it fades during the night as it uses up the solar energy so they gradually get used to the dark, I start putting the solar light into the brooder about 5 minutes earlier each night so that it starts fading sooner until eventually they don't need the added light at all, it's a gentle way to wean them off the light. I get the solar lights from Dollar Tree so it's not an expense and being Dollar Tree quality (don't get me wrong, I love Dollar Tree but...it is what it is) they seem to fade a little sooner than other more expensive lights. Just remember to take the solar light out of the brooder in the morning to charge and in my experience, using a light bulb to charge the solar lights vs outside light doesn't work that well, it fades in minutes rather than a few hours. Plus, using a Dollar Tree light means that if they wreck it or it gets wet or something, it's not a big deal, it's just $1.25 hahaha.
Oh that's so smart! I've been using a small night light the last couple of nights but a solar light would probably be better. Thank you!

Oh that's so smart! I've been using a small night light the last couple of nights but a solar light would probably be better. Thank you!
You're welcome, I've been brooding chicks for many years and have learned a thing or two. I am happy to pass along tips.

I also have chicks in a garage brooder, with a heat plate, also in a garage with no natural light. I have a full spectrum grow light (regular white light) I use for my seedlings, set up above them (it’s on a stand, with four gooseneck lights). in the early mornings I go down there and switch the light on one of the dimmest settings, around sunrise so they can get started. (later when I *really* wake up, I turn the lights up, open the garage door and bring them outside!).

in the evenings when I bring them back in, I leave the garage door open a few mins before closing it for the night as another commenter suggested, as the light outside wanes, with the grow light on dim. I let them settle with that and they’ll get themselves in their chick pile ready for bed. when it’s fully dark outside, I switch the grow light off and turn on a little remote controlled usb LED night light I use for my kids (it’s a unicorn, many color settings, on amazon!) and put that on the dimmest setting. they’ve seemed happy with my lighting micromanagement!

Back
Top Bottom