• triple crown white sweet corn
  • golden wax beans
  • royal burgundy bush bean
  • dwarf blue curled kale
  • dipper gourd
  • white icicle radish
  • sweet basil

Last edited:
How long have you been gardening? What is your USDA zone?

Your plan looks good!

MY Zone is 6a. Gardening for many years, but in the current setup, we are on year 3, as we leveled the garden area in fall 2019 and re-started. 11 raised beds, and 2 large plots.

New to us this year will be garlic (everyone on the garden thread seems to grow it) and sweet potatoes (my neighbor from LA -Louisiana grew some and had great success).

Surprise “wow! We like it it” vegetables have been:

*Turnips (salad white ones) usually eaten raw, but we like them cooked.

*Rutabaga. Cooked

So, we will grow them again.

I grow a variety of shell beans for drying, green beans for pickling and fresh eating and also soybeans for edamame. I grow both bush and pole beans. Beans are nearly problem free.

Tomatoes: we’ve tried several types, but we try for small Cherry or plum type, small/medium for slicing/lunchbox, and canning type.

Tomatillos: good cooked in dishes, but spouse will eat them raw too.

Potatoes: usually one bed dedicated to them. This year I have white, yellow, purple ones growing.

Carrots: we usually have good luck with them. Only growing them in the raised beds, and we also have a color variety planned, but no white ones.

Peppers: we grow many sweet red Italian types. We make our own pepper sauce for using in cooking and sandwiches. And we eat them raw.

Gourds: we’ve grown many. Birdhouse gourds are a very fast grower with big leaves, so we use them as shade on the south side of the chicken run and it works well.

Beets: entire family likes them. We’ve found some that produce well for us, and taste good. So, we continue to grow them.

Squash: we plant summer squash, butternut, and pumpkins. Last year we had a terrible time with squash vine borer, so we will plant some things later in the season, and some under insect netting.

Strawberries: we have 3 varieties- none of which we love. So, bought more bare roots this year and will plant a new bed and remove the old one.

I’m probably forgetting things, but this is a decent idea of my garden plans.

*Rutabaga. Cooked
How long have you been gardening? What is your USDA zone?

Your plan looks good!

MY Zone is 6a. Gardening for many years, but in the current setup, we are on year 3, as we leveled the garden area in fall 2019 and re-started. 11 raised beds, and 2 large plots.

New to us this year will be garlic (everyone on the garden thread seems to grow it) and sweet potatoes (my neighbor from LA -Louisiana grew some and had great success).

Surprise “wow! We like it it” vegetables have been:

*Turnips (salad white ones) usually eaten raw, but we like them cooked.

*Rutabaga. Cooked

So, we will grow them again.

I grow a variety of shell beans for drying, green beans for pickling and fresh eating and also soybeans for edamame. I grow both bush and pole beans. Beans are nearly problem free.

Tomatoes: we’ve tried several types, but we try for small Cherry or plum type, small/medium for slicing/lunchbox, and canning type.

Tomatillos: good cooked in dishes, but spouse will eat them raw too.

Potatoes: usually one bed dedicated to them. This year I have white, yellow, purple ones growing.

Carrots: we usually have good luck with them. Only growing them in the raised beds, and we also have a color variety planned, but no white ones.

Peppers: we grow many sweet red Italian types. We make our own pepper sauce for using in cooking and sandwiches. And we eat them raw.

Gourds: we’ve grown many. Birdhouse gourds are a very fast grower with big leaves, so we use them as shade on the south side of the chicken run and it works well.

Beets: entire family likes them. We’ve found some that produce well for us, and taste good. So, we continue to grow them.

Squash: we plant summer squash, butternut, and pumpkins. Last year we had a terrible time with squash vine borer, so we will plant some things later in the season, and some under insect netting.

Strawberries: we have 3 varieties- none of which we love. So, bought more bare roots this year and will plant a new bed and remove the old one.

I’m probably forgetting things, but this is a decent idea of my garde
cool not sure what my USDA zone is I'm in dutchess county

Back
Top Bottom