26 days on the nest

hookr88

In the Brooder
Mar 26, 2019
I have a one year old hen who went broody 26 days ago. We built her a brood nest and placed 10 fertilized eggs under her no problem. Beginning last week we started to find broken eggs with dead chicks in the nest. She is in a secure location, no predators. Of the ten eggs we are down to three. She is still very much in brood. This is mine, and hers as well, first attempt at raising chicks naturally. Is it time to call it on the three remaining eggs? I don't want her to waste away on 2-3 possibly non viable eggs. I candled them the other night and two of the three eggs were solid, couldn't see anything.

Did you put the eggs under her 26 days ago, or did she just go broody 26 days ago? If the eggs have been sat on for 26 days with no result, then they're probably dead, although I would wait a day or two longer. :)

Any other hens around? Maybe the broke ones are due to other hens wanting in there. I would tap my fingernail on the egg and listen for peeping sounds. That's what I did. It's very cool and sweet. I talked to them.

We put the eggs under her 26 days ago. I moved her at night into our garage so no risk of predators or other chickens getting in the nest. I was curious if this might be typical of a first time young girl brood issue.

Sounds like your broody has killed her chicks as they hatched.
Some broodies are not good at 'mothering' once the eggs start hatching.

Thanks for all the tips. Last night I tapped on the eggs and nothing. Tonight I opened one and no good. Then I did the same with the rest and ditto. Maybe next time. Hopefully the two of us will do better the next time.

Back
Top Bottom