3 broody Mama's & mixed flock

Cj Tracker

Songster
Apr 18, 2020
This is my first time hatching. I didn't expect it my first year but I have 3 hens taking shifts on 2 nests.
The one definitely stays out except to eat and drink but the other one goes off the nest for extended breaks or free range time.

Question, what happens to the other hen aka 3 wheel momma when these babes hatch in about a week?
Also, I think there are about 4 duck eggs in there as well.

While momma duck still is laying every day she isn't interested in being mom right now apparently. Am I supposed to take the baby ducks and put them in the little pool and pond to see if she mother's them or does the hen raise them?!

One last question, I have a 50x15 run with the coop being 10 x 12. I have a only one separate pen in there that's 8x8 with a small coop. From reading up on this, it sounds like I need to separate the mom's and chicks from the other 6 in the flock. Will that 8x8 space keep the two hens and their chicks? Is it ok to keep the two mom's and babes in there? I have no other space except the run with the others including one rooster.

Thank you, I'm so grateful for kind and experienced fellow chicken keepers here with lots of experience. I would be lost without this site!

All three hens may try to mother the chicks. The hens will most likely leave the nest withing 24-36 hours of the first chick hatching. This will leave the duck eggs no longer incubated - have a 'Plan B' if you want to save them.

The non setting duck will not mother the ducklings - she'll have no idea that they are hers. If a chicken hens completes the incubation she will raise the ducklings. Staggered hatches are a pain and generally unsuccesful.

Multiple hens can frequently mother a brood of chicks. A lot depends upon the temperament of the individual birds. Sometimes it works, and sometimes it does not. Good luck.

All three hens may try to mother the chicks. The hens will most likely leave the nest withing 24-36 hours of the first chick hatching. This will leave the duck eggs no longer incubated - have a 'Plan B' if you want to save them.

The non setting duck will not mother the ducklings - she'll have no idea that they are hers. If a chicken hens completes the incubation she will raise the ducklings. Staggered hatches are a pain and generally unsuccesful.

Multiple hens can frequently mother a brood of chicks. A lot depends upon the temperament of the individual birds. Sometimes it works, and sometimes it does not. Good luck.
This morning, turnip, hen#2, was fine by the afternoon she had a section of feathers torn out most likely by Blu, hen#3. I put Blu into the small coop for the late afternoon and night and will monitor my turnip. I'm guessing the 3 hen mothering isn't going to work out.
Thanks for the response!

Back
Top Bottom